Digital vernier calipers

Mitutoyo are very good, but expensive. If you want good quality at a good price look at the INsize calibers from Cutwel tools, I use several pairs daily and they've never let me down (apart from one pair that I dropped and bent the jaws)

For most of us mere mortals its not really possible to calibrate calipers, micrometers, dial indicators etc. Most metrology houses offer an in house certificate of calibration for not much money compared to the industry recognised certificates that big companies need to have to keep their ISO accreditations.

Calipers aren't really a high precision instrument, and most are fairly durable, so get a reasonable set and don't abuse them and you shouldn't have too many problems.

If you do want to check them then you need a gauge block to be able to reference against, and even then if you do find it reading incorrectly you'd need to send away to

Have it cleaned/ re-calibrated.

Used to clean jaws of measuring gear with paper via tightening and pulling out (not over tight) then return to zero, check a know reference object kept for purpose. This was done periodically and recorded when I was on the tools with each device

Variable calipers is the name drilled into me as an apprentice. They are a good tool but do have their limitations. A micrometer is far better for an accurate measurement so all I do is using a

0-25 or 0-1" clean the faces and check zero. Reference a turned piece of bar with the mic and then check with the vernier caliper.

For checking drills etc especially as I've got older, read failing eyesight :blink: , then they are a boon and make all jobs so much easier.

Mitutoyo are good but those insize ones will be just as accurate. Try not to use one as an adjustable spanner, you may laugh I have seen it done :o

Variable calipers is the name drilled into me as an apprentice. They are a good tool but do have their limitations. A micrometer is far better for an accurate measurement so all I do is using a

0-25 or 0-1" clean the faces and check zero. Reference a turned piece of bar with the mic and then check with the vernier caliper.

For checking drills etc especially as I've got older, read failing eyesight :blink: , then they are a boon and make all jobs so much easier.

Mitutoyo are good but those insize ones will be just as accurate. Try not to use one as an adjustable spanner, you may laugh I have seen it done :o

Hmmm..... Adjustable spanner eh, never thought of that! They could serve me as dual purpose! ?

Hmmm..... Adjustable spanner eh, never thought of that! They could serve me as dual purpose!

Its not unknown, I think the school leaver sees the flat faces and the adjustment screw and thinks ah- a small spanner, perfect!

Same idea but we were drilled to call them "very near" calipers.

SPI are good and are priced well, Swiss Precision Instruments, although made in China. Mitutoyo are certainly one of the best, they also have a range of price. I have a few around the shop (Machine Shop) but when I need a proper reading I use a Micrometer, 10 people will hold a different tension/compression on the vernier and get about 4 different readings, when in fact, there is not meant to be any tension/compression on the jaws when reading.

A word of warning

I needed some new calipers and after reading this thread I went for insize, but be careful. I bought mine through a well known scope company who sent me a cheap pair of digital calipers even though I had paid for Insize. The invoice said "Insize electronic digital caliper" and the picture on the web page showed a pic of Insize calipers. After calling them they are going to refund me as they don't have any Insize calipers. So if the caliper doesn't say Insize on it, it's not.

Archived