McMillan stock

andybrock

Can anyone please tell me if McMillan stocks are solid (at the recoil pad end) or are they hollow? I'm not exactly sure which model mine is but it's just a bog standard hunting one.

Also whats the best method of removing the bonded on recoil pad?

I want to fit an extendable recoil pad so I don't want to go to a load of hassle removing the recoil pad only to find the stocks hollow or semi hollow as I'll need to drill it out.

Cheers Andy

• 11 months later...

How did you get on with this?

I didn't bother in the end, I bought another rifle with a Manners stock, Baldie put me a Tubbs adjustable butt pad in it which works well.

Cheers

Andy

How did you get on with this?

The info below is a cut and paste from the Mcmillan Website:

1. What materials is a stock made of?
Each fiberglass stock is made of multi-layers of eight-ounce woven fiberglass cloth, laminated under pressure with epoxy resin. The stock is filled with solid fiberglass in the receiver area and epoxy and glass beads in the forend. Our EDGE ultralight stocks are made with 100% graphite cloth in the shell instead of fiberglass, for less weight and greater strength.
Edge Tech – is our ultra light stock. It is made out of graphite cloth, not fiberglass. Edge Tech is the lightest we can make a stock pattern. The hunters edge stock pattern can get down to as little as 23 ounces. Because of its lightweight, it cannot have any adjustable hardware installed and must be painted. It is not recommended for magnum calibers and this fill cannot be used for any caliber above a .300 win mag.

Standard – The majority of our stocks are filled with standard fill, also called sporter fill. It is composed of fiberglass cloth and solid fiberglass throughout the forearm and action area. A dense 2 piece foam is used in the butt stock. This fill is used for all calibers up to and including .300 win mag.

Magnum - This fill is used for heaving recoiling and magnum caliber rifles, mainly on hunting stocks. It constructed the same as a standard fill except heavier, thicker and more dense fiberglass is used in the recoil lug and action area to withstand heavy recoil and be easier on the shooter. It will add about 6 ounces of weight to the stock. It will be used for anything above a .300 win mag caliber.

Sniper - This fill is mainly used on magnum calibers on our tactical stocks. It is the same as magnum fill except there is lightweight fiberglass in the butt stock, not foam. This is so hardware for adjustability can be installed onto the butt stock if so desired. With the fiberglass being in the butt, it also helps to balance out rifles with large barrel contours. It will add about 8-10 ounces to the stock.

The only hollow part of the stock is the buttstock from the rear of the pistol grip to two inches from the end. This area is filled with urethane foam to deaden the sound and absorb vibration.
No, ours are completely solid and then machine inletted rather than having the receiver area molded.
We offer 6 painted solid colors, 11 molded-in camo finishes and a wide variety of marble finishes.

Archived