which scope on which rifle?

abolter

I have a Nightforce 8-36 scope and now a 12-50 PMII. The problem is which one do I put on the 22/250 and which on the 30-06? Both shoot very accurately and I had always thought I would use the 22/250 for long range daytime stuff so I put the nightforce on the 30-06. Its minimum mag is better suited to stalking also.

I will only be shooting critters, no paper. What would you guys do?

I have a Nightforce 8-36 scope and now a 12-50 PMII. The problem is which one do I put on the 22/250 and which on the 30-06? Both shoot very accurately and I had always thought I would use the 22/250 for long range daytime stuff so I put the nightforce on the 30-06. Its minimum mag is better suited to stalking also.

Get a stalking scope for the 30-06.It need not be pricey-6 or 8 x S&B,if dusk matters.You won't need x50 for a 22/250.NF is a great scope,just too heavy for a big critter rifle,where dialling and high mag isn't critical.Some reticules are just not hunting friendly,though you don't say what yours are.Sounds a rather expensive way to only have a compromise.

Gbal

frankly I sold my big Nightforce and others when I packed in Target shooting. My biggest scope now is a 18x Leupold and I should be quite ok with owning nothing over 12x

you guys dont shoot much moorland then?

In terms of vermin/stalking there will be work and play. If I fancy "playing" at rabbits at 600 yds plus then I will. If I am stalking then 12x is as much as I use. I cant rule out 300+ yard foxes by any means.

Anyway given that I have the scopes then I dont intend to rid myself of them quite so soon.

In terms of vermin/stalking there will be work and play. If I fancy "playing" at rabbits at 600 yds plus then I will. If I am stalking then 12x is as much as I use. I cant rule out 300+ yard foxes by any means.

Anyway given that I have the scopes then I dont intend to rid myself of them quite so soon.

I shoot out to at least 1000 over moorland,for which a 12-42 NF with RR fine reticule is excellent.But I would not want to use this for stalking deer to 300y.Nor would I rush to sell either of your current scopes,but maybe consider a more suitable stalking scope,like an S&B 6 or 8 x,which will be better in low light-12x S&B is not a bad scope,but it isn't ideal either,given it's cost.

If you shoot 600,then maybe a 600 rifle is indicated-6BR?-and put the S&B on that,as neither the 22/250 or 30-06 are ideal 600y rifles...?

Gbal

I use a 8-32x56 nxs on my 6br I will shoot a thousand yards with it, and that day with you I shot that roe buck at 70ish yards. Never had a problem myself 1000 yards or 50 yards il shoot it. Mate of mine went to a ukv target shoot a while back 600 yard and won it with his 22-250 by a mile because he was getting slated by chaps saying 22-250 ain't no good for range I've seen him shoot 1200 yards with it and its impressive.

Take a look at my location I can shoot 1200 yds off my driveway

like an S&B 6 or 8 x,which will be better in low light-12x S&B is not a bad scope,but it isn't ideal either,given it's cost.

If you shoot 600,then maybe a 600 rifle is indicated-6BR?-and put the S&B on that,as neither the 22/250 or 30-06 are ideal 600y rifles...?

Gbal

I take on board your low light comment. That would suggest the Nightforce should go on the 30-06 as that has 8x mag?

Out of curiousity why would the 30-06 not be any good for 600m?? It shoots 1/2" at 300m so I had assumed it was going to be interesting to push it further. It seems to be only a couple hundred fps slower than my mates 7mm and I am on 160 grainers. I thought the .308 was a popular calibre for long range stuff once over so thought the 30-06 would be fine?

I take on board your low light comment. That would suggest the Nightforce should go on the 30-06 as that has 8x mag?

Out of curiousity why would the 30-06 not be any good for 600m?? It shoots 1/2" at 300m so I had assumed it was going to be interesting to push it further. It seems to be only a couple hundred fps slower than my mates 7mm and I am on 160 grainers. I thought the .308 was a popular calibre for long range stuff once over so thought the 30-06 would be fine?

If low light stalking is important,best to try both scopes and pick the better,if there is any discernible difference.

A 1/2 inch precision at 300m is quite exceptional in any rifle.There is no reason at all the 30-06 can't be used for 600 m (the reasons for the 308 are not really all about balllistics).

My suggestions are based on the useage you inplied-rabbits at 600y-the 30-06 isn't the tool for that.I was assuming the 30-06 was a stalker only.But maybe those assumptions are not valid-it would not be the first time on here that the story graduallly unravels,but we tend to get a happy ending,when all the rekevant info comes out! :-)

If the 30-06 is dual use,stalking AND long range,the whole picture changes-you will need the lowest mag for one,and the highest for the other,whichever scope of the two you use.

I'd not waste a 1/2 inch @300m barrel on stalking or plinking/rabbits. A .15 moa rifle even in 6ppc and bench rested is hardly routine!!

Gbal

Im going to be cheeky and tag onto this thread if thats okay as I was going to post a similar thread myself.

What are your guys thoughts on:

3-12x50 PV-N Swaro

6-24x50 PV TDS-4i

.243 used mainly for foxing etc

7mm08 as my main stalking rifle

Im wanting to have a go at target to 500m but not sure which rifle to use.

Im going to be cheeky and tag onto this thread if thats okay as I was going to post a similar thread myself.

3-12x50 PV-N Swaro

6-24x50 PV TDS-4i

Any combination will do it.

I'd go for the 243 and 6-24,but it depends on the size of the target-the smaller the target,the more high mag helps!

With a 200 zero,and nrmal loads,you will be dropping/drifting in 10 mph wind :

243 85 sgk BC .32 mv 3300 -38/26 inches

7-08 140 NBTip BC.49 mv22800 -45/19 inches

Different loads will differ a little,but not much (a few inches unless very different)

Crudely put,243 is 3/2 feet;7-08 is 4/2 feet if you just want to try hold over/off,and see bullet splash.

Gbal

3-12x50 PV-N Swaro

6-24x50 PV TDS-4i

.243 if your not shooting a lot. 24x will give you an edge competitively on paper, easier / more likely to watch mirage and also see your first sighter marked up. I personally wind down to 3x more than up to 12x while stalking etc., If the 7-08 was set up for long range work then I might reconsider that. Reason I say .243" in the main is the availability of 6mm bullets of target type in a range of weights, 7-08 rem as std don't run to good with heavy weight 7mm target bullets (a special might do well though)

Nothing much wrong with 30-06, other than spotting the fall of shot and the extra surplus kinetic energy it should better a 22-250 I should think (both in factory std format 600 yds)

Cheers guys.

I have the nightforce on the 30-06 and had a play last night. After about 8 shots I hit an 8" or so rock at 750m!! I was pretty ecstatic as the wind was a bit gusty. I seemed to have only about 4" of vertical variation which to say I was prone off bipod I was pretty chuffed with.

We then went along the valley a bit and I hit 3 rabbits (and missed 2) at 380 yards

So all in all a good start.

As regards the 30-06 I was flabberghasated by its grouping when I set it up and this is what lead me to consider long range and some kit to do it.

I do absolutely no target shooting at all so it could be argued it is wasted on me but I'm not complaining :D

Cheers guys.

I have the nightforce on the 30-06 and had a play last night. After about 8 shots I hit an 8" or so rock at 750m!! I was pretty ecstatic as the wind was a bit gusty. I seemed to have only about 4" of vertical variation which to say I was prone off bipod I was pretty chuffed with.

We then went along the valley a bit and I hit 3 rabbits (and missed 2) at 380 yards

As regards the 30-06 I was flabberghasated by its grouping when I set it up and this is what lead me to consider long range and some kit to do it.

I do absolutely no target shooting at all so it could be argued it is wasted on me but I'm not complaining :D

Rocks,rabbits and reality-seems the 30-06 is human after all.

A nice example of grouping and field shooting differences,though!

Just enjoy it, believe in it,not sure I'd even try another group !!

4" vertical says a lot about the ammo too!

Gbal

Cheers guys.

There you go nowt wrong wi that! ;)

Archived