whats it worth?

hi guys, I have a sako 75 in .22-250 and as i just became the proud owner of (yet another) .25-06 I`m wondering what to do.

The rifle is rough, no way around that but its still accurate. its bedded in a McMillan sako varmint stock and comes with optilocks and a slightly dinged t8. Really I want to know would anyone concider buying it as a donor action/stock ready for rebarreling or sould I cut my losses sell the stock and mounts, drop the action back in the original wood stock and punt it on for a pittance?

On the other hand should I keep it in the vain hope get the cash together to rebarrel it myself into 7mm-08 or somesuch.

Your thoughts please guys.

Ta Matt

I've a feeling that .308 boltface Sako 75 actions will become rarer and rarer as people realise their superiority from what is available. Were it me, I'd keep the rifle till the time comes to rebarrel this action and then you will have a rifle to be proud about. But,as they say, the decision is yours ;)

Best wishes,

Finman

I've a feeling that .308 boltface Sako 75 actions will become rarer and rarer as people realise their superiority from what is available. Were it me, I'd keep the rifle till the time comes to rebarrel this action and then you will have a rifle to be proud about. But,as they say, the decision is yours ;)

Best wishes,

Finman

Have to say I should run with this also, if I had a slot and a few quid spare at present I should buy it

Sako is a nice action to use as donor but so are the T3's..

Donor sako would be circa 200 - 250 in "rough condition"

Stock - 500 new so maybe 250 tops second hand?

Thats my 2p :D

If you like the stock and action and are tempted to go the semi custom route in future. it seems daft to part with it sods law says it would cost more to replace when you decided to do the 7-08 or whatever you pick.

Sako is a nice action to use as donor but so are the T3's..

Donor sako would be circa 200 - 250 in "rough condition"

Stock - 500 new so maybe 250 tops second hand?

Thats my 2p :D

How can you rate an action with plastic bottom, plastic mag, single stack mag- without easy top loading etc. next to an all steel action, mag and bottom iron with easy top loading? I am not disputing T3 or 595 actions can shoot and I know most smiths like the (easy to work on) round Remington clones for other reasons I am talking just from a durability and use (in field) point of view as neither are competition material to my mind. I shouldn't think its worth doing a lot of work to any second hand action, if "rough" means it don't shoot great but if is being let down by the barrel, finish etc. well that's a different matter

In this case rough would refer to the cosmetic apperance of the rifle as in blueing is worn, the finish on the stock is wearing thin through use and the stainless finish on the barrel is marked.

Given that most custom rigs are now cerecoted when finished i don't think anything on it would need major work to sort.

Oh and if i do my bit its still a sub 1" rifle

Archived