Leupold spotting scopes are now absurdly expensive and well out of the reach of most I would have thought. So whats a good alternative that is comparable quality with good glass at a reasonable price and not too bulky.

Tall order perhaps but.... there is certainly a market for them so which product is a good competitor

Leupold spotting scopes are now absurdly expensive and well out of the reach of most I would have thought. So whats a good alternative that is comparable quality with good glass at a reasonable price and not too bulky.

Tall order perhaps but.... there is certainly a market for them so which product is a good competitor

For starters, you could read the report in June's Target Shooter on spotting scopes.

Have you looked to see if you can find any of the Jordanian Milsurp ones that were around last year?

They were much more reasonable in price. I think Riflecraft had some, dont know if they have any left still

Mark

Can't comment on budget ones, but my Swarovski spotter is one of the best things I,ve bought. From spotting foxes, to assessing roe bucks its invaluable in the field, saved many a wasted stalk and found a good few litters from various vantage points. But best of all, the whole family has had use of it, the kids love looking at the wildlife through it. One purchase that will never be criticised and money in bank should I need to cash it in.

Before you part with your money, I'd strongly advise having a look at the Nikula spotting scopes that Brian Fox sells for about £295. I have a Kowa and honestly, I couldn't tell the difference.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Can't comment on budget ones, but my Swarovski spotter is one of the best things I,ve bought. From spotting foxes, to assessing roe bucks its invaluable in the field, saved many a wasted stalk and found a good few litters from various vantage points. But best of all, the whole family has had use of it, the kids love looking at the wildlife through it. One purchase that will never be criticised and money in bank should I need to cash it in.

Plus1. Bought a swarovski atx95. Very expensive bit of kit but I'm safe in the knowledge that I will never need to buy another spotter!. Plus I use it for photography and videos which this spotter was purpose built for.

Archived