when to stop using brass

lancslad

ok. when do u guys stop using your brass.

I've got a running stock of 200 cases and my rifle has probably done around 1000 rounds. but when do u stop using your brass and what should I be concerned about checking.

I do a visual check for weakness, brass gets neck sized only. not found any cracks or creases.

cheers all.

youre basically doong what neeeds to be done , just keep an eye out for loose pockets , splits and dings and dents

If you run hot loads the primer pockets are normally the first to go. If the primers seat real easy I mark the cases and ditch them after that firing. Otherwise the hot gas can leak around the primer and etch the bolt face :blink: .

Also if you don't anneal the necks they eventually split. Depends on the cartridge and brass quality as to when exactly.

As you're neck sizing only I wouldn't have thought that you'd have issues with case head separation.

Other than that general wear and tear/losing the things.

Henry

Depends on what cases. I should check inside any rimmed case feeling for cracks with a little pick (homemade or dental tool). Even in a batch of brass some cases fail quicker than others so good reason to clean and check every time and not just wait till X number of firings or loose primer pockets

I remember the first time that I 'got the message' that my cases had given up the spirit: went out with my 6mmBR, with cases that I had loaded 6-7 times...Shot the first round, but could not chamber the second (didn't check the one I had ejected...). Rattled the rifle around and the neck (!!!) of the first case came out! The neck had hardened to such a point that it simply broke off the case. I continued shooting and, if the neck did not separate, there was definitely a split on the remainder of the rounds. Funnily enough, the primer pockets were not loose and, as luck would have it, I shot some of the best groups that ever came out of that rifle! :)

Moral of the story: the neck gets 'work hardened' with the resizing process and either we have to anneal every 4-5 firings or chuck the cases around 6-7 loadings (the cases were Lapua, I'm sure there are variations on that theme, depending how hot the loads and what is the brand of brass we are starting with). Now that I anneal, the primer pockets get loose around 9-10 firings.

best wishes,

Finman

After 7 to 8 firings I look out for little striation marks in the shoulder neck area,,,if I see any I will sacrifice a case to see if it snaps off with a twist with some pliers,,,,,usually the case will resist and still be pretty maleable.I use lapua brass and generally speaking my cases go to 15 plus reloads through calibres 223,,6ppc,,6br,,308 before they are binned.During this time none have been annealed ,,perhaps I should consider this?given offers of help with this and considering the initial expense of setting up? At this point I,m happy to buy new brass ,,,neck turn and burn that barrel with a second lot of brass ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,somethings gotta go,,,,,eventually!!

Apart from my 308[what is it with this cal??} all my rifles are fitted/tight necked so minimal work is required to reload,,,,,this probably helps,,as does no hot loads/,,,,,,,Onehole

+1 on that...I full resize unturned cases on SAAMI necks, which must work the cases harder than your process. I don't think that I load them hot (that 6mmBR load was 31.8gn varget behind a 87gn VMax) and back then I didn't have as much experience as I have now and may have been bumping shoulders way too much. Either way,as you correctly say, sooner or later, something will 'go'...

Best wishes

Finman

Loose primer pockets??,,,mmmmmm well in nearly 20 years of reloading I have never given up on a case thats had loose primer pockets,,,do you really need to run it as hard as that,,,,,,,I,d be looking to "get a bigger boat" if you get what I mean,,,,,,,,,,,

I'm on my 11th loading of a batch of Lapua 308 cases, this particular load is not run hot, brass is annealed every 2 firings, all the primer pockets are still very tight. I tend to body size and neck size to ensure trouble free chambering for matches like McQueen's, surprisingly the brass has not grown and I've not needed to trim at least the last 4 / 5 firings.

I check for thinning of the base, primer pockets and fit into a shell holder. I can't see with this load why I can't take them to 15+ firings.

On the other hand I've got some Lapua 260 brass that's toast after 4 firings. Someone asked about how do you define if a primer pockets loose, the answer is when the primer falls out... I might try rescuing some of them with a military crimp remover swaging tool, this tightens the pockets back p.

How does a crimp remover tighten pockets back up?

I use the RCBS tool. Basically if you exert enough pressure the brass will reform against the tool tightening up the internal diameter of the primer pocket. The only downside is it does leave an imprint on the inside of the case, not a major issue. However I wouldn't do this if the care had expanded so as not to fit into a shell holder or exhibited any other warning signs.

Archived