6mm cartridge advice needed.

Wildcat69

Hi,

Once more the remarkable and much more efficient 6mm Remington does not get a mention...:)

Best wishes,

Finman

Hi,

Once more the remarkable and much more efficient 6mm Remington does not get a mention... :)

Best wishes,

Finman

has now :P

Hi,

Once more the remarkable and much more efficient 6mm Remington does not get a mention...:)

Best wishes,

Finman

Good point-I considered it as a ballistic twin to the 243AI,with a long neck.It didn't offer anything better,though,and was less 'available' ,and no track record of use,esp in tactical or mag use,

so it wasn't going to usurp the 243,despite being factory etc,unlike the wildcats (much ado about nothing better.)The 6 rem will of course handle the crucial 115 g bullets,comfortably.So OK, an option maybe for those who just can't quite admit that PO was right,the 243 is already improved,and the more recent shoulder shruggers are more dislocated than improved

OK 6mmRem (in AI?) is a contender.(and deserves recognition anyhow).

gbal

After you mentioned you want to go that route, I looked into the 6xc. Will need to talk about it soon. Are you out shooting this week?

Hi mate,,,,,weathers gone again!!,,,doh,,,,will ring e as soon as I see a decent day coming up,,,,,,cheers D

243AI would fit the bill nicely.

Why fireform? unless you have an overlong barrel it gives nothing but a remedy for case the excessive stetching in the std .243 win? Seems to me to be out of the pan into the fire in terms of case prep and smooth feeding

243AI would fit the bill nicely.

Why fireform? unless you have an overlong barrel it gives nothing but a remedy for case the excessive stetching in the std .243 win? Seems to me to be out of the pan into the fire in terms of case prep and smooth feeding

Hi,

Once more the remarkable and much more efficient 6mm Remington does not get a mention... :)

Best wishes,

Finman

True, but getting .243 win brass easy and quick is far more convenient now. It should always have been the one but they just missed out on the mass market with the versatility of ammo and twist rates

Good point-I considered it as a ballistic twin to the 243AI,with a long neck.It didn't offer anything better,though,and was less 'available' ,and no track record of use,esp in tactical or mag use,

so it wasn't going to usurp the 243,despite being factory etc,unlike the wildcats (much ado about nothing better.)The 6 rem will of course handle the crucial 115 g bullets,comfortably.So OK, an option maybe for those who just can't quite admit that PO was right,the 243 is already improved,and the more recent shoulder shruggers are more dislocated than improved

OK 6mmRem (in AI?) is a contender.(and deserves recognition anyhow).

gbal

In a copy of Precision Shooting not that long ago, Bob Jourdan wrote a very informative article on 'Ackley-ising' cartridges. He made the point that, if the performance of the 'mother' cartdridge did not improve by 10% or more then there is little point in going through the trouble. He sited .243AI as the example where, the Ackley version struggles to make 8%. Whereas the 7x57 gains 17% if my memory serves me right.

Now, if we take into account that the 6mmRem is based on the 7x57 case, we immediately see the point in the 6mmRemAI. Zaitsev here had one and sold it...The chap who bought it shot an untold number of fallow at anything up to 350yds. An additional advantage of the straight 6mmRem is that it is not a barrel burner, handles heavier bullets (so makes deer legal with no hassle), and cases can be made by necking down 7x57 (although there are cases available to buy). Not as easy a proposal as the .243, but, a hell of a lot more attractive one, to my eyes at least...

best wishes,

Finman

In a copy of Precision Shooting not that long ago, Bob Jourdan wrote a very informative article on 'Ackley-ising' cartridges. He made the point that, if the performance of the 'mother' cartdridge did not improve by 10% or more then there is little point in going through the trouble. He sited .243AI as the example where, the Ackley version struggles to make 8%. Whereas the 7x57 gains 17% if my memory serves me right.

Now, if we take into account that the 6mmRem is based on the 7x57 case, we immediately see the point in the 6mmRemAI. Zaitsev here had one and sold it...The chap who bought it shot an untold number of fallow at anything up to 350yds. An additional advantage of the straight 6mmRem is that it is not a barrel burner, handles heavier bullets (so makes deer legal with no hassle), and cases can be made by necking down 7x57 (although there are cases available to buy). Not as easy a proposal as the .243, but, a hell of a lot more attractive one, to my eyes at least...

best wishes,

Finman

best wishes,

Finman

All this has merit-the 7X57 is a fine cartridge,a long action 7-08,so not too much gained by the 308 derivitive there.The fallow would have been effectively dealt with by the 7x57.Perhaps the near ideal if we want to add medium deer capability is indeed the 257 Roberts,as a factory round-or improved! A 10% improvement nearly always brings in a standard cartridge...

But bear in mind that my original brief was for a 500-1000 varmint and target/tactical cartridge,top performance and easy.

The 6 rem is a good contender,but maybe not any better and is LA,and has less pedigree for target use?maybe minor issues with availability of top quality brass?It certainly has potential,and deserves to be developed far more,but 'not proven'-yet.

So still the 243,as specified,....but only by a 'short neck'!

Gbal

haha! Point taken :) Wouldn't it be a good experiment though to see whether the 6mmRem would do the 500-1000 yd varmint/target work...particularly with modern powders, actions and barrels...Hmmm...something to ponder about. Saying that there was a paper in Varmint Hunter a few years back on the 6mmRem as a varmint gun and it didn't say much against it...Well, someone may take this challenge up and let the rest of us know :) up until then, we can muse on paper (well, on screen more correctly...!) freely!! :lol:

best wishes,

Finman

haha! Point taken :) Wouldn't it be a good experiment though to see whether the 6mmRem would do the 500-1000 yd varmint/target work...particularly with modern powders, actions and barrels...Hmmm...something to ponder about. Saying that there was a paper in Varmint Hunter a few years back on the 6mmRem as a varmint gun and it didn't say much against it...Well, someone may take this challenge up and let the rest of us know :) up until then, we can muse on paper (well, on screen more correctly...!) freely!! :lol:

best wishes,

Finman

Indeed- I think it has been used a fair bit in US as a varmint round (maybe more for medium deer)-why ever would it not work well in both applications.Not seen much on target use,or with the DTACS....

atb

Gbal

I am near to 1000 rounds with my barrel and I would presume I have not long before things start to change accuracy wise.

If you haven't abused the barrel, ie hot loads, firing until it glows, I would say you should get that amount again. I would think I put at least three times that amount through mine before accuracy started to go

If you haven't abused the barrel, ie hot loads, firing until it glows, I would say you should get that amount again. I would think I put at least three times that amount through mine before accuracy started to go

I have enough life in it for a little bit longer but the restriction of not be able to run heavier bullets have lost my interest to shoot any longer as it is. I had fun shooting it but time move on soon or later.

Archived