Rem 700 Extractor

Hales Smut

Being fairly new to this forum I must say I enjoyed every minute of it. Certainly the showroom for rifle builders is fascinating. I know Edi for a while, but I see that the UK and Ireland has some real artists with rifles. I shoot for more than 20 years over my dogs, but has always had more love for rifles than guns. After being for a few years on a waiting list for the only outdoor range in the flemish part of our country, I finally became a member. I have always appreciated Edi's very practical ideas, so my first range rifle probably wil be a Rem 700 SPS , 223 Tactical. The 223 is the only calibre wich can be used on the whole range. Other calibres are restricted to only one range on the ground. The tactical has a 1-9" twist. If I ever want I cal always upgrade with one of Edi's stocks. My second choice would be a T3 ,varmint.

I read a lot about mounting a Sako extractor to a rem 700 action. Is it better ? necessary ? safe ? to have this done.

No it's not necessary unless you are changing bolt face diameters on an action. They do work well if correctly installed, but then so does the standard unit. People do seem to think they are less safe in the event of an over pressure case failure, but seeing as 95% of all the custom actions use sako extractors, as well as countless Sako and Tikka rifles, I don't think there is any need to worry.

The USMC use standard extractors in their rifles and they put countless rounds through them without issue.

I like Sako rifles.I have several Remingtons.

I have never had any extraction issues with either make.

It is possible to fit a sako type extractor in the remingtons,and safe,if properly done,but it is not necessary,and most users would not feel any real need to do so.

For most range users,it's a solution to a problem that does not exist.

Welcome to the forum,and enjoy your 223 Remington,whatever extractor it has.

Gbal

I had a problem with my Remington extractor and the recommendation was to fit a sako one. Boy, what a price. I was quoted £300. Norman Clark fitted a new Remington extractor for £18 and it's perfect.

Hi Rik

welcome to the forum

either work well, but its expensive (and unnecessary) to fit a Remington bolt with a Sako extractor - the Remington extractor will work for 000;s of rounds and is very cheap and easy to replace (even the rivetted ones)

All my Remmys are fine as standard with the exception of my 300 rum which needed a Sako extractor because the standard extractor didn't quite grip enough of the rim , you will be fine

Archived