300 Win Mag Bullet Depth

Greenbear

Hi Guys,

some advice please, I have just taken delivery of my modified 300 case to use with my hornady depth seating gauge, the trouble is if I move the bullet untill it just touches; the bullet is literally falling out of the case.

Has any body come across this and how do I move forward with it?

I have a laminated stainless T3 Tikka with a T8 mag mod.

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Wayne

if its a 1 in ten twist then it will be throated for 180+ with 190's in mind or even upto 210 so the throat will be long

if you could let me know the twist it may throw some light on the matter

300's tolorate a long jump, infact my previous 300 would shoot its best with them seated at saami and accuracy got worse the closer to the lands I got

Sounds like you have a long throated chamber and will have to have a rethink on bullets.

Maybe go to 200 - 240 grainers, they are alot longer than 180's and will get you closer to the lands.

Silent may be able to advise on getting your chosen bullets to shoot without seating close to the lands ?

I use 185gr gameking Sierras and 165 gr as well, just make it to saami dimensions and it is extremely accurate, no need to try getting to the rifling on these as Andrew says. As with most calibres there is a range of "best for this calibre bullet weights", for the 300wm it is generally accepted that 180 - 190gr does best hence most of the match bullets are around 180-185 gr, I have no hesitation in agreeing with that, also dont down load more than 10% as there is a very real possibility of detonation in magnum calibres/cases.

Redfox

Thanks guys - I appreciate all the info.

Silent my barrel twist rate is 1 in 11.

Thanks again, I am very pleased with the rifle and load my 180g heads behind 73g H4831SC, up to now I have loaded to my magazine length with reasonable results.

Might be worth trying Reloader 22, I found it gave more consistent results ( couple of quid cheaper too) with of course magnum primer, I use CCI 250, the Federal is good too.

Redfox

agreed rl22 is very versatile, a match for it if you cant get rl22 is h4831sc and it can be a tad better for the 180 ish booolets

I used to use h4831sc for 178gr a-max but now use only h1000 with 210gr berger in my new tube

try seating them back at saami length, I know it seems mad but I have found with all my factory tubes that seating at max mag length was the least accurate and seating at saami or seating in were most accurate

like somebody else said on here, reducing loads the norm 10% can be dangerous in a 300 wm

seating long to meat the lands in a factory 300 can be a pain in the backside so give the other way a chance and see what happens you may just be supprised

in my old tube I did try 210 bergers loaded to kiss and as far back in the case as powder would allow (very near saami) to see if they minded jumping in a 300 (bergers have a reputation of liking to be kissing or soft seated)

they didnt mind at all, infact they were better

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

Sorry to reserrect this thread but its annoying me to buggery :blink::lol:

I have RWS 184g factory ammo which comes in at a COAL of 2.736, this is almost the maximum length that will fit in my magazine, SAMMI is far to long for me to load too ;)

Does anyone have direct experience of loading a Tikka .300 winmag? I have today written to Sako to see if they can shed some light on the subect.

Its spoiling what is a superb rifle.

Cheers

GB

Mine is a Tikka all weather 300wm and I can not get anywhere near the rifling with 185 gr bullets and the 165gr that I sometimes use are even further away. However it groups into less than an inch with both at 100yds so, I dont worry about it. In fact Roy Wetherby had something like 1/4" jump on his 300 mags even with the 220gr bullets as he was looking for maximum velocity and still got stunning accuracy out of them, so just load to the length you can and try altering the powder loads and enjoy it. :blink:

Redfox

Mine is a Tikka all weather 300wm and I can not get anywhere near the rifling with 185 gr bullets and the 165gr that I sometimes use are even further away. However it groups into less than an inch with both at 100yds so, I dont worry about it. In fact Roy Wetherby had something like 1/4" jump on his 300 mags even with the 220gr bullets as he was looking for maximum velocity and still got stunning accuracy out of them, so just load to the length you can and try altering the powder loads and enjoy it. ;)

Redfox

Cheer Redfox

Will do, I will now load to maximum mag length.

I will also try some RL22

GB

tests I did repeatedly a few years ago showed me that best accuracy was all the way back at saami (or there abouts depending on bullet) 3,340 or seating out long touching or just off the lands

although in a saami spec chamber the tests showed that saami spec length made use of the free bore (long throat) which still happens to be a snug fit on the bullet which happens to be just a small length of bore with the rifling removed

I then went to test the other four factory guns I had at the time and they showed the same story

the tests showed me that loading in between, say max mag length gave the poorest groups and I could only put this down to the fact that seating to touch or better still utilizing the free bore to stabilize the bullet and lead it into the lands squarely <_<

are you sure you cant seat at 3,340??? thats short not long and 3.340 is saami length (saami is the industry standard to which manufacturers have to work to )

the 3.340 is from base of case to tip of bullet or "over all length" (oal)

Uummm :blush::blush::blush:

Silent me ole china, I have just measured me magazine and it is 3.660 inches long, my RWS ammo is 3.332 inches long, I have been particularly stupid and have been trying to get a COAL in the mag :blush::blush:

So you are exactly correct I can load to SAMMI :rolleyes:

As for coming down for a weekend with you web fingered interbred people - I would love too and look forward to sorting something out in the summer.

Thanks for your help.

GB

No worries mate just as Silent says the SAAMI dimensions work just fine ( as you might expect) and you will enjoy shooting with it. The accepted wisdom is they shoot best with bullets in the 180 - 190gr range, mine is just as good with 165gr as well and they are really travelling, about 3300fps. I have made up some 125 gr rounds to try, just for fun of course.

Redfox

Archived