300 Win Mag Bullet Depth

Greenbear

Out of the mouthes of babes.....

I ran into a young man (perhaps 20) at the range the other day. I was testing a recrown on a .222 and he was there testing handloads for his Savage 30-06 in preparation for prong-horn antelope hunting. We got talking and he said that his Dad didn't reload, nor did any of his friends, so he had to learn it on his own. We discussed his 30-06 loading and he vouched that he'd read everywhere on the Net that loading to the lands would give the best accuracy but he hadn't found it to be so. When he got looking deeper into the subject, he found that the old periodicals always gave seating depth as a more important factor than O.A.L. so he started loading progressively deeper. His '06 groups with 150 grain bullets went from just under two inches to 5/8" when he got the bullet seated to it's sweet spot -which, coincidentally, also fed from the magazine quite well.

When I asked him why he thought they shot so well he said he figured that the pressures were more uniform when the neck grabbed onto a larger bit of the bullet. Smart kid! Really refreshing to see someone young and not impressionable! ~Andrew

Archived