CALIBER DILEMA !!

Right i currently have a .223 (AR-15) :D, and will be doing my DSC1 at the end of March so i am going to need a Deer caliber.

I have made my mind up its going to be a 6.5 :D

But will i use the .223 again once i have the 6.5???

If i keep the .223 i have about 5-600quids to spend on the 6.5 which should get me a T3. But if i flog the .223 i will have about 1200-1500 to spend on a nice semi custom 6.5 :D:D

Decisions, decisions....

:huh::blink::unsure:

What do you guys reckon ????

Right i currently have a .223 (AR-15) :D, and will be doing my DSC1 at the end of March so i am going to need a Deer caliber.

I have made my mind up its going to be a 6.5 :D

But will i use the .223 again once i have the 6.5???

If i keep the .223 i have about 5-600quids to spend on the 6.5 which should get me a T3. But if i flog the .223 i will have about 1200-1500 to spend on a nice semi custom 6.5 :D:D

Decisions, decisions....

:huh::blink::unsure:

What do you guys reckon ????

I reckon keep the 223 for the fox. (nice quiet gun with a mod)

The 6.5 is a very accurate rifle out the box. mine shoots 3/4 with factory loads.Personally i think a custom 6.5 isnt needed... very very accurate out the box

I have both calibers. The 6.5 is the dogs nuts for the deer.. They drop on the spot..

Rgs

Dwight

6.5mm what?? carcano, x55, x47, 284, 260Rem etc etc.

All excellent deer (and fox) calibres.

If you like the .223, keep it and save a bit more for a semi custom deer rifle. That way you get the best of both worlds.

It would be normally unlikely that you would get the 6.5 for foxes, foxes while stalking deer yes but that would mean that you would not be able to legally lamp with it. Some forces are more flexible though so it might be worth discussing it with your FLO. The temptation to keep you at one rifle might just be enough to get it.

A

Another option would be of course would be a custom .243 (instead of the 6.5) and do away with the .223. Either way, if your FLO allows, personally I would get rid of the .223 and have one really decent gun for foxing and deer.

I reckon keep the 223 for the fox. (nice quiet gun with a mod)

The 6.5 is a very accurate rifle out the box. mine shoots 3/4 with factory loads.Personally i think a custom 6.5 isnt needed... very very accurate out the box

I have both calibers. The 6.5 is the dogs nuts for the deer.. They drop on the spot..

Rgs

Dwight

I do like the idea of having both rifles and the choice..

6.5mm what?? carcano, x55, x47, 284, 260Rem etc etc.

All excellent deer (and fox) calibres.

If you like the .223, keep it and save a bit more for a semi custom deer rifle. That way you get the best of both worlds.

6.5x55 or the Grendel staying with the AR theme.

I do like my AR, totally impractical for the field but great fun and it shoots so well

It would be normally unlikely that you would get the 6.5 for foxes, foxes while stalking deer yes but that would mean that you would not be able to legally lamp with it. Some forces are more flexible though so it might be worth discussing it with your FLO. The temptation to keep you at one rifle might just be enough to get it.

A

I can have the 6.5 for both fox and deer not just whilst stalking, luckily..

Another option would be of course would be a custom .243 (instead of the 6.5) and do away with the .223. Either way, if your FLO allows, personally I would get rid of the .223 and have one really decent gun for foxing and deer.

Tell me more, are you talking about a .243AI ? I have heard good things about this caliber.

Cheers,

Brian....

The 6.5x55 certainly is a very nice calibre. I really like mine for the soft recoil! One thing to keep in mind is the idea of having two loads for one gun. It means you will have to re-zero for either the Fox Or Deer load, assuming you want to use a lighter and flatter shooting round for the Fox? You could of course meet somewhere in the middle with a 120ish grain bullet for both, but the 6.5 does (I'm told) hit harder with the heavier bullets (140+). When I settle down a bit, I'm probably going to ask for a .223. The 6.5 is a bit of a boomer for something as small as a Fox, but as I only have the 6.5x55 for now I'm just developing an 85grn load for it. For Deer and Fox I'm going to try the 129grn Hornady SST when I can get some (they're like rocking horse poo around here at the moment!). They should do both jobs well for the medium term, but as the Deer season is coming to an end, I'll work on the 85grn for now.

I'd keep the .223 and get a Tikka. I need to find an accurate deer bullet because so far I'm having trouble. I've not tried much through it yet so don't take that as I'm saying it's a problem. The damn thing can keyhole group at 100 with PPU FMJs though! :unsure:

Archived