barrel life 22.250

simon6ppc

hi guys ime just on with buying a new sako 22.250. ive always believed that the barrel life is around 1500 rounds depending you look after the barrrel, is this correct as some people tell me you get around 5,000, to me that sounds alot, do any of you guys know exactly how many it is, cheers simon,,,,

It's a movable feast mate. One mans shot out bit of tat is another mans deadly accurate assassination tool.

It depends how you run it and how hot your loads are, but I'm inclined to go with the 1500 rounds theory. My 270 Win barrels don't last beyond 1200 rounds for me, but I want more than "minute of deer" accuracy.

ATB

hi I have an archer barrel in 22.250 Ackley on my remmy im shooting 60g bergers at 3700fps coming up to 1600 rounds and it still shoots the same as day border fitted it . oal has not been changed and according to my oal gauge its lost about 8 thou out of the throut. I did shoot a pacnor barrel out in less than a thousand though so some barrels prob last longer than others. a good cleaning regime is important and if you use an Ackley be careful as you wont see signs of pressure until your way over also take loading data from the yank sites with a pinch of salt as they don't seem to give a that which promotes growth and vigour if you blow up your rifle. atb tony

cheers guys, i mainly use a 6ppc for all my shooting but for some reason i still have a soft spot for the 22.250,my old sako 22.250 used to manage half inch groups only on very good days,the norm was around under an inch which was,nt brilliant to be honest, what groups do you honestly get with your 22.250,s because as much as i like it, i know it will never match my ppc,s

my old browning with varmint barrel shot 1/2 MOA no probs for around 3000 rounds (factory) and then went off a bit. My new one is an RPA action and Walther barrel and it is capable of 1/4 MOA at 100.

thats very good shooting that pal,ive had three 22.250,s over the years.and have shot hundreds of foxes with them,but when i group shoot with them,ive never realy done any thing to shout about,i meet folk in gun shops etc that tell me this and that.so i invite them to were i shoot and they do sub 6inch groups etc.ive only just joined this forum so it will be intresting to talk to folk who realy know there stuff.cheers simon.

So much has to do with how you shoot it as well as round count. Letting the barrel cool completely after each shot is so way different than shooting 10 or 20 round details on a range each weekend . The way and the frequency you clean a rifle also has a great effect I have a well worked .243 win here that's done more than 1500 (never did a round count but its shot its way through three hundred brass and I have had it near a decade) and will stay comfortably under 1/2 moa @200 - 300 yds from clean but it wont hold onto it for much more than a dozen or so before it needs a major clean. You simply don't buy a 22-250 to pop away with at paper or gongs

ye cheers kent,as said ive used a 6ppc for the last 15 years for target and fox shooting.i shoot 5 shot groups and always clean the barrel,let it cool down in between shooting.to get 5 shots consistantly in half inch with a 250 i cant do.yet i do a inch group or over and that night a 280 yard fox.to me thats what the 250 is all about.

ye cheers kent,as said ive used a 6ppc for the last 15 years for target and fox shooting.i shoot 5 shot groups and always clean the barrel,let it cool down in between shooting.to get 5 shots consistantly in half inch with a 250 i cant do.yet i do a inch group or over and that night a 280 yard fox.to me thats what the 250 is all about.[/quote

Simon,I suspect that your experience isn't unique.Much as I like my ppcs,and know that one at least can shoot under .1 in ideal conditions,nobody can reliably match best performances under field conditions,or know it.For starters,how many shoot 5 shot groups on the same fox!!

But as you say,it isn't essential,either.

Welcome,keep the faith and a pinch of salt handy!

Gbal

Ive owned a t3 lite in .22/250 from new (7 years) and to date it is just shy of 1370 rounds down the barrel. I've never shot more than three shots in quick succession either at target or vermin. My load isn't hot for a 250 but is very accurate which is all that matters to me. It's well looked after by all accounts and if I do my bit and the conditions allow it shoots 1/4-1/2" @ 100y no problem in the field exactly the same from new, i may of just jinxed it though posting this.

ye cheers kent,as said ive used a 6ppc for the last 15 years for target and fox shooting.i shoot 5 shot groups and always clean the barrel,let it cool down in between shooting.to get 5 shots consistantly in half inch with a 250 i cant do.yet i do a inch group or over and that night a 280 yard fox.to me thats what the 250 is all about.[/quote

Simon,I suspect that your experience isn't unique.Much as I like my ppcs,and know that one at least can shoot under .1 in ideal conditions,nobody can reliably match best performances under field conditions,or know it.For starters,how many shoot 5 shot groups on the same fox!!

But as you say,it isn't essential,either.

Welcome,keep the faith and a pinch of salt handy!

Gbal ok pal thanks for replying

I am currently using a standard Sako hunter in 22,250 she shots into quarter inch at 100yds as long as you don't heat her up. I have my nightsight on her and she is out 3 times a week and accounted for hundreds of foxes up to 350yds. She feeds better than my 22br but has a little more recoil. I use 55gn bergers with 36gns of H380.

I am currently using a standard Sako hunter in 22,250 she shots into quarter inch at 100yds as long as you don't heat her up. I have my nightsight on her and she is out 3 times a week and accounted for hundreds of foxes up to 350yds. She feeds better than my 22br but has a little more recoil. I use 55gn bergers with 36gns of H380.

ive used 36 grains h380 with a 50 grain nosler for 20 years on foxes with some top results with my sako 22.250, i think for fox bashing they are a top calibur,i have shot quarter inch groups with it on the day,but as said before the average is around the inch or just less, cheers simon....

I dunno why someone might measure the accuracy of a 22-250 or similar at 100 yds, seems a waste of ammo to me. Lets face it your not going to miss much in the field at such a range so why test or practice there? at best its a windage check, its a bit like testing / sorting loads at 100 - pointless as there is no guarantee the best load on the day will also be the best at 300 or so. Keeping things to under 1 1/2" consistently at 300yds shows so much more about the life left in the tube or the load selected than printing a few 1/2" groups at 100 and the latter is certainly no guarantee of the former.

I dunno why someone might measure the accuracy of a 22-250 or similar at 100 yds, seems a waste of ammo to me. Lets face it your not going to miss much in the field at such a range so why test or practice there? at best its a windage check, its a bit like testing / sorting loads at 100 - pointless as there is no guarantee the best load on the day will also be the best at 300 or so. Keeping things to under 1 1/2" consistently at 300yds shows so much more about the life left in the tube or the load selected than printing a few 1/2" groups at 100 and the latter is certainly no guarantee of the former.

Ok-you have a point about field accuracy,but it maybe makes less convincing reading if you don't make fair comparisons-ie one condition is "consistently" and the other is " a few".If we had say ten groups at each I'd absolutely agree and there are other factors-quite a few - that come into play to make the extrapolation non linear,so you might well much prefer the 300 performance as the better guide with those groups sizes.Alas,for reasons apart from the rifle's intrinsic accuracy,you are unlikely to get such an easy comparison....consistent 1/2 moa at 100 may well become consistent 2 or 21/2 moa at 300.

Of course still "good enough",but as a diagnostic test etc,it isn't great."Getting worse now at 100 than it used to be",is perhaps quite useful and just easier to set up with reasonable control?

Gbal

I test at 100m, not to practice but as a first look at a developing load. It's pointless going out to long range at the start since the wind and the shooters ability to read it, will have a massive effect on any result at the target. If you waited to find a calm day, you’d never get anything done.

If and when I get good results at 100m and by that I mean consistent groups along with decent ballistic data for long range requirements, will I take it out to 300m+ to test.

But since I now know it’s working at 100m, I will use the load in anger for short medium range in the interim. I then get a feel for how the load is performing day to day. I’m sure we’ve all been there...a new wonder recipe shoots into a group the size of a gnat’s nadger one day, only to print like a shotgun the next. :angry:

ATB

I test at 100m, not to practice but as a first look at a developing load. Its pointless going out to long range at the start since the wind and the shooters ability to read it, will have a massive effect on any result at the target. If you waited to find a calm day, you’d never get anything done.

If and when I get good results at 100m and by that I mean consistent groups along with decent ballistic data for long range requirements, will I take it out to 300m+ to test.

But since I now know it’s working at 100m, I will use the load in anger for short medium range in the interim. I then get a feel for how the load is performing day to day. I’m sure we’ve all been there...a new wonder recipe shoots into a group the size of a gnat’s nadger one day, only to print like a shotgun the next. :angry:

ATB

I assume you are limited in were you can shoot and when? That is something I often forget. I can sit on a load test awaiting the correct day and just pop outside when it occurs and shoot it at the range I wish, even booking a 300yds range can be hard enough and I often forget that not everyone lives so close to their shooting sorry

Ok-you have a point about field accuracy,but it maybe makes less convincing reading if you don't make fair comparisons-ie one condition is "consistently" and the other is " a few".If we had say ten groups at each I'd absolutely agree and there are other factors-quite a few - that come into play to make the extrapolation non linear,so you might well much prefer the 300 performance as the better guide with those groups sizes.Alas,for reasons apart from the rifle's intrinsic accuracy,you are unlikely to get such an easy comparison....consistent 1/2 moa at 100 may well become consistent 2 or 21/2 moa at 300. Of course still "good enough",but as a diagnostic test etc,it isn't great."Getting worse now at 100 than it used to be",is perhaps quite useful and just easier to set up with reasonable control? Gbal

sorry, read your response to my post a few times and cannot work out what your trying to say in reference to my previous posting. Subsequently unable to respond

i shoot groups with it 100,200,300 and even 400 if the weathers ok, like every one on the forum i think any way we all like playing with our toys end of realy,some folk pay thousands of pounds just to shoot paper,i enjoy hunting as well,just the way it is.if it be a12ftlb air rifle or a 50 calibur, cheers simon..

sorry, read your response to my post a few times and cannot work out what your trying to say in reference to my previous posting. Subsequently unable to respond

Sorry-pretty much the same as Achosenman says wrt the usefulness /practicality of 100 yard testing- it is very useful.

Second,deterioration over time with groups at 100 yards is quite a good indicator of barrel wear,and is easily doable.

Third,and minor,maybe we have to have fair comparisons.Would restating your point like this matter. " If we have consistent 1/2inch groups at 100and a few groups of 1 1/2 at 300..." ...it depends does it not on whether the few are consistent,but that isn't knowable if it's just a few,and whether there were a few that were much larger,but not included,ie inconsistent. But I hope the first two points above are agreeable,giving some point to 100 groups,and let's not get into semantics of few/consistent.

Gbal

how do you compare your 22br to your 22.250 pal.i have thought about getting one, which do you go for more than the other...cheers simon...

i shoot groups with it 100,200,300 and even 400 if the weathers ok, like every one on the forum i think any way we all like playing with our toys end of realy,some folk pay thousands of pounds just to shoot paper,i enjoy hunting as well,just the way it is.if it be a12ftlb air rifle or a 50 calibur, cheers simon..

Amen to that

My perversion would be opt for the 6ppc,though,rather than those two imposters as target / hunting rifles,most of the time.

Gbal

Sorry-pretty much the same as Achosenman says wrt the usefulness /practicality of 100 yard testing- it is very useful. Second,deterioration over time with groups at 100 yards is quite a good indicator of barrel wear,and is easily doable. Third,and minor,maybe we have to have fair comparisons.Would restating your point like this matter. " If we have consistent 1/2inch groups at 100and a few groups of 1 1/2 at 300..." ...it depends does it not on whether the few are consistent,but that isn't knowable if it's just a few,and whether there were a few that were much larger,but not included,ie inconsistent. But I hope the first two points above are agreeable,giving some point to 100 groups,and let's not get into semantics of few/consistent. Gbal

we might speak a different language?

Archived