barrel life 22.250

simon6ppc

I tend to test loads at two hundred yards mainly due to the fact I can usually shoot into the wind. That's not always the case with three hundred.

my current load is a consistent 1/2 mos out to three hundred.

ladder testing is pointless at less than three hundred as you don't get enough variation.

I tend to test loads at two hundred yards mainly due to the fact I can usually shoot into the wind. That's not always the case with three hundred. my current load is a consistent 1/2 mos out to three hundred. ladder testing is pointless at less than three hundred as you don't get enough variation.

I know its popular with many now but I just cant "buy into" ladder testing myself. I do pay attention to vertical dispersion more than lateral when analysing groups though that's about were it ends for me. Perhaps check as far out as you can is a good maxim? Provided you will actually shoot the gun in question at said maximum range, end of the day pointless testing a stalking round at 1000 yards !

I tried ladder testing but found it frustrating trailing backward and forwards marking the target. the idea makes sense ie; canceling out variables while finding the least vertical.

Takes a lot of rounds which in lower round count calibres eats into your barrel life

I tend to fire three round groups as five rounds opens the group badly.

Going back to the op and barrel life I would find a load and stick to it stocking powder and as many of the bullets as I could. .22 250 has never been renown for long barrel life. But as say a foxing rifle which is the main use I've come across its rare to fire two or three shots back to back. Hopefully not shooting the barrel hot and chopping changing loads would get the most out of it.

But as said earlier what is shot out? where would each of you say its shot out? Me I want no less than 2" at 250 yds.

I tried ladder testing but found it frustrating trailing backward and forwards marking the target. the idea makes sense ie; canceling out variables while finding the least vertical.

Takes a lot of rounds which in lower round count calibres eats into your barrel life

I tend to fire three round groups as five rounds opens the group badly.

Going back to the op and barrel life I would find a load and stick to it stocking powder and as many of the bullets as I could. .22 250 has never been renown for long barrel life. But as say a foxing rifle which is the main use I've come across its rare to fire two or three shots back to back. Hopefully not shooting the barrel hot and chopping changing loads would get the most out of it.

But as said earlier what is shot out? where would each of you say its shot out? Me I want no less than 2" at 250 yds.

Depends on what the rifle did when it was relatively new, some have never done 2" at 250 even new and for a gun that has consistently done far better ....................

ye cheers kent,as said ive used a 6ppc for the last 15 years for target and fox shooting.i shoot 5 shot groups and always clean the barrel,let it cool down in between shooting.to get 5 shots consistantly in half inch with a 250 i cant do.yet i do a inch group or over and that night a 280 yard fox.to me thats what the 250 is all about.[/quote

Simon,I suspect that your experience isn't unique.Much as I like my ppcs,and know that one at least can shoot under .1 in ideal conditions,nobody can reliably match best performances under field conditions,or know it.For starters,how many shoot 5 shot groups on the same fox!!

But as you say,it isn't essential,either.

Welcome,keep the faith and a pinch of salt handy!

Gbal[/quote

I suppose I've been lucky with second hand rifles that they have shot within 2" at 250. at the moment I only have a .243 and it will shoot 1.5" at three hundred if I do my bit.

I base my 2" at 250 on my normal foxing use, it allows some error on my part be it less than ideal rest miss read wind or just plain cockup. a 4" gun leaves too much to chance.

I suppose I've been lucky with second hand rifles that they have shot within 2" at 250. at the moment I only have a .243 and it will shoot 1.5" at three hundred if I do my bit.

I base my 2" at 250 on my normal foxing use, it allows some error on my part be it less than ideal rest miss read wind or just plain cockup. a 4" gun leaves too much to chance.

Wasn't questioning the requirements as regards ability to group, just suggesting barrel wear is best balanced against the individual guns past history. If a 1/4 moa gun becomes 1/2 and slipping that's the time to look at things but it could also be a 1 moa slipping to 1.5 etc.

It's a movable feast mate. One mans shot out bit of tat is another mans deadly accurate assassination tool.

It depends how you run it and how hot your loads are, but I'm inclined to go with the 1500 rounds theory. My 270 Win barrels don't last beyond 1200 rounds for me, but I want more than "minute of deer" accuracy.

ATB

I was thinking along the lines of this and wondering compared to my 2" at 250 for foxing where your limit is rather than how much you'd lost.

Maybe I should of asked for a foxing rifle what would you consider maximum group at x range.

where you may be a moorland keeper with a 22 250 for long range day time use or a lamper who never shoots over 150 yds

for instance

I need to shoot out to 250 and feel 2" is my maximum for comfort while I do shoot further I don't NEED to.

I was thinking along the lines of this and wondering compared to my 2" at 250 for foxing where your limit is rather than how much you'd lost.

Maybe I should of asked for a foxing rifle what would you consider maximum group at x range.

where you may be a moorland keeper with a 22 250 for long range day time use or a lamper who never shoots over 150 yds

for instance

I need to shoot out to 250 and feel 2" is my maximum for comfort while I do shoot further I don't NEED to.

That's a fair point, maybe another thread though? My rifles will all out shoot my ability to accurately call the dope under anything but good conditions and at least one is known to be getting ready for a new tube, under 1/2 dozen rounds all cold clean bore it can still outshoot my ability to guide it though

Archived