Shooting rest

tony

Been looking to replace my by Bi pod shooting sticks for Tri pod sticks for more STABILITY when deer stalking, had a look at a picture of the Primos trigger sticks in the Bush wear cat and thought they looked top quality good but at £99.99 I am thinking humm thats very expensive. Anyone on here use/have them, if so what do ya think or anyone have any recommendations on a alternative make, any/all comments would be appreciated.

Thanks, Tony.

four pieces of 18mm hardwood dowel four screws a drill and about an hour and a half. Ok so I'm fairly handy and made the quad sticks easily but if you can cut your dowel to your own height and put four strong rubber bands on you've got a set for under twenty quid.

I use mine for solo lamping rifle on sticks one handed lamp in other, stable out to 200 yds if not more not tested yet.

I am getting some quadrant to make a new set I'll put some pictures up to show them being made if you want to hang fire.

four pieces of 18mm hardwood dowel four screws a drill and about an hour and a half. Ok so I'm fairly handy and made the quad sticks easily but if you can cut your dowel to your own height and put four strong rubber bands on you've got a set for under twenty quid.

I use mine for solo lamping rifle on sticks one handed lamp in other, stable out to 200 yds if not more not tested yet.

I am getting some quadrant to make a new set I'll put some pictures up to show them being made if you want to hang fire.

Looking forward to the pics sonic :)

try get it done this weekend. just moving workshop now on week three as well as the machines its amazing what you can fit in 2000 sqft.

mark and drill 1" from bottom then turn 90deg and drill 5" from top.

drill to depth of screw for pilot hole then half way ie; through one piece to clear screw shank.

post-11375-0-30638200-1367275700_thumb.jpg

post-11375-0-76243300-1367275723_thumb.jpg

screw together and cut tape.

cut strap of your choice I have leather. the next part is easier with some help. set up the sticks with a rifle in them. then you need to fix your straps to limit how far they open.

more pictures to follow.

post-11375-0-54495500-1367276052_thumb.jpg

post-11375-0-70253500-1367276079_thumb.jpg

shortened some screws. punched holes in each end of a leather strip about 3" long. pilot drilled and after setting sticks out to check where,screwed one end to sticks then the other.repeated for other side. then the bottom

made closer strap by screwing in three screws leaving middle one high wrap leather round then mark where it touches the screw. punch a hole then cut a small slit on side of hole nearest the screws.

post-11375-0-46683800-1367449641_thumb.jpg

post-11375-0-59366400-1367449716_thumb.jpg

post-11375-0-48223200-1367449998_thumb.jpg

sticks set up with a stock resting in them. the straps allow you to pivot on one stick while following your fox etc even use them one handed lamp in the other.

now the fun part strip them down to stain and oil finish.

post-11375-0-18196700-1367450408_thumb.jpg

post-11375-0-91641700-1367450448_thumb.jpg

post-11375-0-68791800-1367450472_thumb.jpg

Love twin sticks personally. Easy and quick to deploy, walk forwards or back to change elevation, easy to track a moving target also use for supporting binos. Have used single sticks but not a great deal better than a sling, more than two might be ok for some locations and are very steady once actually deployed and on target, but none of the areas I tend to shoot favour them nor the quarry.

What sticks need is a heap of practice with those of your personal choice and then the confidence of when to just shoot quickly off hand when its better

The beauty of this new set is you can set them three ways. folded they are round so quick shot rest rifle on my wrist. they can be used double or as shown. I find I can hold them almost as good the as bipod of the bonnet. I do have a bushware three leg set but find them noisy.

Archived