123 Amax in 260 rem

Grouse

After some help please in a recommended starting and max loads using 123gr Amax, in 260 rem.

Powders available are N160 and H4350

Might get an OAL of 2.820" to enable use as a repeater in BDL bottom metal

For some reason Quickload doesnt seem to list for 123gr Amax?

(going off 123gr scenars suggested start load is 41.2gr and max load 44.6gr - using N160)

Thanks in anticipation...

After some help please in a recommended starting and max loads using 123gr Amax, in 260 rem.

Might get an OAL of 2.820" to enable use as a repeater in BDL bottom metal

For some reason Quickload doesnt seem to list for 123gr Amax?

(going off 123gr scenars suggested start load is 41.2gr and max load 44.6gr - using N160)

Thanks in anticipation...

I reload a 260 AI for a mate we use Vit 160 with 123 A max,works very very

I think the 123gn version must be a very recent introduction. I'm confused as to what Hornady is doing here as it also has (or maybe that should now read 'had') a 120gn A-Max in the calibre, and that wasn't introduced too long ago. In fact, I suspect it was developed alongside the 6.5mm Hornady Creedmoor cartridge which was launched around 5 years ago and was provided in 120 and 140gn factory match loadings.

The 123gn model gives a significant BC hike, up from the 120's claimed 0.465 to 0.510 (G1). Perhaps the company felt it could produce a more efficient variant in this weight bracket, or maybe 123gn is becoming a standard 6.5mm bullet weight as Sierra has also introduced one.

If it's as recent as I think, it'll takes QuickLOAD a version or two to catch up and include it.

I'd use the 120gn A-Max in QuickLOAD and the data you have for the 123gn Scenar as starting points working up from their starting loads and see how you do. The 123gn A-Max is unlikely to be particularly different from this pair in terms of the pressures it'll generate.

Might get an OAL of 2.820" to enable use as a repeater in BDL bottom metal....

These two powders are on my list to try, but at the minute I am muddling away with RL-19 and Remington brass. Regards JCS

Archived