6.5-06

Swarovski1

Any thoughts on this calibre choice,......is there any real difference between the 6.5-284 and the (6.5)06 in real terms,atb swarovski

Yeh, you'd possibly need a longer action ;)

The case capacity is basically identical so you'd be splitting split hairs

Chris-NZ

I have a pair of 6.5-06 and - 6mm-06 that I hunt with it extensively in North America

I cannot see it being popular in Europe since there are so many wonderful alternatives here like 6.5-284 etc etc

Remember these wildcats have been around for a looooong loooong time

Most guys I know who shoots this use it in on pronghorns and on the prairies

Rifles are cheap in North America nobody is too bothered about Internet talk of burnt out throats except paper puncher or silhouette shooters

Parent case are easy to obtain either going down from 06 or going up from 270

I seem to have plenty consistency going up

I recall when I attended bench rest class in the us tensions are more consist when necking up

If you need more details please PM me

I can share some load data with you once you get it

As I say nothing wrong with these calibers if you are a real hunter

Parent case are easy to obtain either going down from 06 or going up from 270

surely the 6.5 requires necking down a .270 case?

I can't see how barrel life is worse than a 25-06 but the choice of heavier bullets and high BC bullets is vastly increased when it comes to 6.5

I have a 270 and have stopped using anything other than 130gr SP for game or 135gr SMK for 5-600yd range days

just no point as the MV's are not achievable in a stock action/barrel to gain anything by going up to 150gr

sounds good on paper but I am sure there is a reason they are not popular.

6.5-284 just seems an easier option

My friend

6.5-06 and 6mm brother have been around since the inception of the 06

We were plinking around in 275 and 303 when the yanks were playing around with these wildcats

The came the 284 and its variants

Sort of.The 284 languished for years as nobody in the end actually wanted 270 like performance in a lever action(the win 88) ,and this rebated cartridge was only quite recently picked up/rescued by the long range F classes,as near optimum capacity for their purposes.The Shehane is probably the best of the rather limited variants.But it is a good cartridge,among many very good 7mms.

While we're on it,the 275 is really the 7x57 Mauser,but the 303 is a purely British flanged case,much wildcatted in the Dominions.

Gbal

In the sierra reloading manual they recommend necking up the 25-06 case,I intend on using 139gr scenars and 142gr smks for 1000yds and 100gr nos bal tips for deer and foxes

Sounds fine.

It is a little odd the '06 case has not been extensively and successfully,wildcatted,as a 6,6.5,or 7 mm given its virtues and extreme popularity in US.

Even before short and fat become desireable.

There are other options for Long Range,and obviously for hunting.But it will be interesting to see how you get on at 1000 ,though presumably not in a heavy BR rifle,if it's a deer rile too?

Gbal

Archived