1:9 twist .223 and 75grain Amax

527vamint

Some people seem to have good luck with them in a 9" twist but it didn't work for me! I pushed them as fast as I safely could.

I guess I will have to try some and see what happens. What gun,primers,cases,powder and how many grains did you use if you don't mind me asking.I will be using a 1:9 cz 527 and blc-2 powder or varget if I can get some with cci br primers and ppu cases until I find a sweet load

This has to be one of the most commonly asked questions on this forum as well as others like the big American AccurateShooter Forum. And the answer is .......

. YES

........ or ......... NO !!!!

Ie maybe. As farmer7 says, some nominally 1-9" twist rifles do work, some don't - mostly because factory rifles don't necessarily have the twist shown in the manufacturer's data sheet. In any event, it's marginal. As air temperature and density affect stability, it's the sort of situation where you might be OK on top of Ben Nevis or Snowdonia in a heatwave, but it won't work at sea level in a January cold snap. Try it and see, but remember that round holes in the paper at 100 yards don't guarantee full stability.

Also see the current issue of TargetShooter Online free mag for an article that shows BC is adversely affected by Coefficient of Stability (Sg) values below ~1.25. As the Sg of this bullet in a 'true' 1-9" is barely over 1.0, it definitely falls into this bracket.

http://www.targetshooter.co.uk/

This has to be one of the most commonly asked questions on this forum as well as others like the big American AccurateShooter Forum. And the answer is .......

. YES

........ or ......... NO !!!!

Ie maybe. As farmer7 says, some nominally 1-9" twist rifles do work, some don't - mostly because factory rifles don't necessarily have the twist shown in the manufacturer's data sheet. In any event, it's marginal. As air temperature and density affect stability, it's the sort of situation where you might be OK on top of Ben Nevis or Snowdonia in a heatwave, but it won't work at sea level in a January cold snap. Try it and see, but remember that round holes in the paper at 100 yards don't guarantee full stability.

Also see the current issue of TargetShooter Online free mag for an article that shows BC is adversely affected by Coefficient of Stability (Sg) values below ~1.25. As the Sg of this bullet in a 'true' 1-9" is barely over 1.0, it definitely falls into this bracket.

http://www.targetshooter.co.uk/

Thanks for the info,I am just starting out and am rather addicted to target shooting and just started home loading. I shoot at sea level or near as it could be 100-300m. Sorry for asking or dragging up old post.

Thanks for the info,I am just starting out and am rather addicted to target shooting and just started home loading. I shoot at sea level or near as it could be 100-300m. Sorry for asking or dragging up old post.

Don't apologise, I was commenting not complaining - it's a very fair question and because this bullet is potentially so useful, and also so marginal in the twist rate, is very often asked about. It's a real shame Hornady didn't make it a fraction shorter so it would suit the 1-9 rate and leave the 80 for 1-8" rate barrel owners.

The 68-70gn Lapua, Hornady and Sierra bullets all work great as does the 73gn Berger BT.

Don't apologise, I was commenting not complaining - it's a very fair question and because this bullet is potentially so useful, and also so marginal in the twist rate, is very often asked about. It's a real shame Hornady didn't make it a fraction shorter so it would suit the 1-9 rate and leave the 80 for 1-8" rate barrel owners.

The 68-70gn Lapua, Hornady and Sierra bullets all work great as does the 73gn Berger BT.

ok thanks, will have a look at my rfd and see what heads are in stock and try a box of each mentioned.

I had no success with the 75g Amax through a 1:8 tube. 69g Scenars on the other hand were perfect, giving consistent grouping at all ranges I tried.

This is my finding,,,,others will have had better luck,,,,,Not singling out the 75Amax alone but "Amax" in general produce "good" results both on paper and live targets too!! but over many many years I have always seen much better accuracy,"mindblowing in fact" from Berger,Lapua and other "custom" heads,,,73g BergerBT,s stonking!! in 223.

I do use Amax of course the odd stray one on paper always finds its mark in the field so not really a problem.

The original opening question does 75Amax suit 1/9,,,,,not in 5 rifles known to me,,,cheers Onehole.

This is my finding,,,,others will have had better luck,,,,,Not singling out the 75Amax alone but "Amax" in general produce "good" results both on paper and live targets too!! but over many many years I have always seen much better accuracy,"mindblowing in fact" from Berger,Lapua and other "custom" heads,,,73g BergerBT,s stonking!! in 223.

I do use Amax of course the odd stray one on paper always finds its mark in the field so not really a problem.

The original opening question does 75Amax suit 1/9,,,,,not in 5 rifles known to me,,,cheers Onehole.

I second that comment about the Berger 73 grain BT. My Lilja barrelled .223 is a 1:8 twist and it just 'lurves' that bullet, especially when pushed with Viht N540.

Archived