PERMISSION SLIP

SOUTHERNER

A friend, who knows that i shoot has just contacted me with a question that i'm not sure i know the answer too...

His brother is in the process of applying for his FAC and has the FEO coming around this week. Whilst on the phone to the FEO he was told that the permission slip he has isn't good enough.

It just states that he has permission to shoot on the mentioned land, signed and dated by the land owner.

His FEO wants the slip to state what caliber and what pest he is allowed to control..

Which is not a real problem except the land owner works overseas and is sometimes gone for several months at time . It took 4 months to get this slip.

So trying to get another could delay his application even more.

So what i'm asking is, is the FEO being a bit anal or is it standard police procedure now

I've never had to do this, even with my renewal late last year...

PS HELLO EVERYONE GREAT SITE :lol:

Hi guys.

This was a problem that plagued me throughout my recent application for grant of an FAC, I was asked to provide calibre's and intended target species.

My original permission forms just stated that I have permission to shoot over the land and what quarry I had permission to shoot. These forms were returned to me and I was asked to provide more detailed ones including calibre. The reason I was asked to show calibre was to prove reasonable cause for each calibre.

Not much help in saying whether they are right in doing it or not but it is happening.

i must admit it is getting harder and harder, fortuatly dumfries and galloway firearms department arnt to anal about calibre choise, species which are intended to shoot are however, fortunaly i have from rats to reds so im permitted up to 300winchmag if i so pleased, however the thing that did strike me as odd was that the permission of anything bigger that 30 cals is very tough to get hold off, not that i was after one. the quote i got from my firearms officer was 30 cal is all anyone ever needs that why if anyone ask's for and 8mm they will be denied, however a 300winch mag will surly have far more muzzle energy than an 8x57? dont quote me on that as 308 is the biggest and all i will even need but i just found it odd??

You may want to bookmark this, or download and save ;)

http://police.homeoffice.gov.uk/news-and-p...pdf?view=Binary

Have a trawl through, but this paragraph is of particular interest

A person wishing to shoot over land

should nominate in their application a specific

area of land over which they intend to or

have permission to shoot (this does not

restrict their ability to shoot elsewhere where

permission is also given), and provide written

authority, where possible, from the person

entitled to grant the shooting rights.

and

The named land need not be owned or

rented by the applicant, nor need they have

regular or automatic access to it. Farmers and

landowners may allow shooters to shoot on

their land, for payment or otherwise, on a

formal or informal basis. An applicant need

not always nominate a piece of land as

evidence of “good reason”, but in such cases

the applicant may be required, where possible,

to provide written evidence, for example from

a relevant organisation, a professional pest

controller or of a booking to shoot.

To many FEO's these days are getting all too high and mighty and telling people what they can and cant have, when they have no authority to do so.

If you want a certain calibre get the yes or no from the FLO manager and ultimately the Cheif constable, that goes for anything else the FEO says you cant have.

If you do get anything refused get it in writing with the reason for the refusal.

Dont forget your FEO is an "enquireis officer" and thats all, he has no authority to refuse your requests.

Ian.

This moot point can work both ways....it happened to me a few years back.I had permission on several farms to use a hornet, then i wanted a .223.It was refused initially because my permission slip actually had permission to use the HORNET on them, thus, no permission for a .223.I had to go round every farm, and get them all redone.

The simple answer is to put....

xxxxxxxxxx has permission to shoot on all my land, by day or night.He/she may use any calibre he/she posseses, in the legal shooting of vermin, fox, deer etc.

cover all the bases, if the land has all quarry species on it, and you are allowed to shoot them, put them on the form, and get it signed.

The feo is asking because they need to know what to put down on your mates ticket conditions, they wont just put "permission to shoot anything that moves" ;)

The wording Baldie is just about right, it covers every aspect without being calibre specific.

When I did land checks I would look at the enquiry as what would be the maximum calibre I would use on the land regardless of what calibre was requested by the applicant.

So if someone wanted a 243 and there was deer on the land, I would look at it and pass it (if it was suitable) for upto and 30 cal (or similar), then if the chap wanted to get a larger calibre, we didnt have toi go through the rigmorole of doing another land check - everyone happy.

BASC recommend that you do NOT put any written evidence in with your application This is not compulsary but could become so if we all did it.

The FEO then has to contact your interview nominated landowner(s) (which he should do anyway !) to confirm what you are saying and discuss your application. I appreciate that if the landowner is overseas this may be more difficult though.

I have had probs with FEOs in the past, they agree something with you then it is overruled usually some weeks later by the FLO. As Vermincinerator says talk to your forces FLO or get BASC to on your behalf.

A

I have my own permission slips writen out and the land owner only has to sign and date it. It goes something like this;

I hearby give permission to Mr. JOE BLOGGS & anyone he accompanies to shoot on my land at the above address.

He may shoot on my land day or night with a shotgun or firearm.

Signed;

Dated;

I have never had any problem with this and I have a lot of them.

My force use to give out permission slips for the the applicate to get signed by the land owner. I would not do this as it the FLO job to ask the land owner and to check that you have permisson. All you need to do is give them the name and address of the landowner or the person who has the shooting rights. They do not bother now as I pointed out to them that the only document that I have to fill in legally is the application form.

Archived