ruger no1

benny243

has anyone got any views on the ruger no1 for stalking? already got a heavy barrel custom 243rem, which iv been using for a few years for fox and deer but would now like to get a short barrelled (hence a no1 as theres no bolt lenth) for woodland stalking, iv used and seen most bolt guns on the market but never handled a no1 so im asking all you rifle shooters your views many thanks

Hi,

Ruger quality control can be a bit patchy, some people swear by them and others swear at them. Ruger No.1's are a bit 'rattly' and an acquired taste. Some shoot superbly out of the box while others are inconsistent. There is a device called the Hicks Accurizer that can be fitted in the forend to tension the forend hanger. With this the rifle can be 'tuned' for more consistent results.

If you can find one the Browning/Miroku falling block is of much better quality. From memory the older model was the '78 while the newer models were sold as the Model 1885, hope this is of some help,

Alan

has anyone got any views on the ruger no1 for stalking? already got a heavy barrel custom 243rem, which iv been using for a few years for fox and deer but would now like to get a short barrelled (hence a no1 as theres no bolt lenth) for woodland stalking, iv used and seen most bolt guns on the market but never handled a no1 so im asking all you rifle shooters your views many thanks[/quote

There are of course,several shortened rifles for such work,the Remington model 7 being one light bolt action example.....the overal length of the falling blocks like the Ruger No 1 of course depends too on the barrel length...

Gbal

thanks for the input chaps I have heard there a love em or hate em rifle, but im tempted to take a risk, im happy with the 243 and although iv shot a lot of foxes and deer with it most have been from a high seat or vehicle so was hoping to find something for foot stalking that's short, I may be opening up a can of worms but what do you think on the calibre front?

look up bruce potts articles he writes for shooting times I think he's a fan of the ruger no1 and the thompson contender. and various calibres for woodland stalking rifles. I read a few of his build articles he like a short single shot and wildcats mainly I think .30 cal.

I wouldn't go near the Ruger,they aren't particularly light and most no.1s don't shoot well at all, 1-2" @100yds. If you spend a lot of time, money and effort, you might get it shooting 1" or just under.

If you want a single shot lightweight stalker, I would be looking towards the Thompsons, Blasers, Heyms, Krieghoffs etc.

I have a ruger no1 in 300 wm, somedays it shoots incredible groups other days you would struggle to get a 3" group, I believe that the problem lies in the foreend assembly that simply tightens up onto the bottom of the barrel so anychange in pressure i.e. your hold whether of sticks front bag etc alters the POI, also the scope rail is attached to both the barrel and action and is made of a light alloy that heats up very quickly and shifts after a few shots.

I got so frustrated with mine I have simply retired it to the cabinet and will probably flog it for a single shot break action with a rimmed round.

I echo what Dans says a Blaser K95 would serve you better.

dont know much about stalking but wouldnt 1"-2" groups be ok for woodland stalking,what sort of ranges do you expect to take shots at.not wanting to step on anybodys toes just want to learn more

thanks for the input everyone, its good to find a sight where shooters answer a question rather than someone trying to sell you one, I think it sounds a bit to much of a risk with the accuracy of the no1. but the Thompson sounds a good idea, I shot one a few years back when an American friend invited me over to shoot some whitetail the only trouble over there was no moderators so the blast from a short barrel was a bit vicious but that wouldn't be a problem here any idea who imports them?

dont know much about stalking but wouldnt 1"-2" groups be ok for woodland stalking,what sort of ranges do you expect to take shots at.not wanting to step on anybodys toes just want to learn more

Bear in mind that is the intrinsic accuracy of the rifle,probably tested under reasonably good conditions-good rest etc,which are likely to be less favourable in

woodland stalking.Range is likely to be around 100 yards,sometimes less.

Gbal

I've just had a look at the no1 on rugers site and have to admit I like how they look. But given the choice I'd buy the contender maybe a 30-30 win reckoned to of accounted for more large game than any other calibre in the states.150gn bullet at about 2500 fps would do the job. For a close woodland gun in hand snap shooting gun only a drilling or double rifle compares for handling.

I'd go for a slim moderator and low power scope.

you could even go as far as get a 22lr barrel to practice your off hand shooting.

Benny i had a No 1 in 25/06.....floated the hanger with a wee bit of inner tube rubber and that halved my group size, easily averaged under an inch with factory ammo - the No 1's point really well and are easy to reload quickly......plenty around at sensible money, if you can try one and it shoots go for it........243's fine too - its a single shot, just make each shot a sensible one and make it count.....

if you went for paid stalking or do your DSC 1 you would have to put three shots into four inch circle. Although for some stalking you may need 2" hill stalking for example can be much further range's than typical woodland where eighty yards could be considered a long shot.

I've just had a look at the no1 on rugers site and have to admit I like how they look. But given the choice I'd buy the contender maybe a 30-30 win reckoned to of accounted for more large game than any other calibre in the states.150gn bullet at about 2500 fps would do the job. For a close woodland gun in hand snap shooting gun only a drilling or double rifle compares for handling.

I'd go for a slim moderator and low power scope.

you could even go as far as get a 22lr barrel to practice your off hand shooting.

You are probably right about the 30/30,for whitetail deer- it's not up to big beasts like moose etc,though other cartridges are.It has probably wounded more deer than most too,but that is shooter error. Much eastern USA deer shooting is shortish woodland snap shooting,and I'd say the generic lever action is understandably the rifle of choice for many hunters.They really do carry very easily and handle very well for snap shooting-way ahead of the heavy German drillings.the classic double is fine for big stuff,but I can't see any advantage in woodland deer hunting.Vermin in Kenya are a different proposition.None of these of course take easily to a moderator,though the lever can be so fitted,I would think.And a near matching 22 would be possible.

Cheaper too!!

And generally accepted these days.

Gbal

see what you mean could turn into 4"-5" not to good then.i do like the ruger though just looks right would love one in 22hornet
see what you mean could turn into 4"-5" not to good then.i do like the ruger though just looks right would love one in 22hornet

Yes,the Farquarson action is a delight,but really only the Ruger is sensibly available.With the hornet accuracy risk might be further compromised,but if they worked -quite a classic ,if a bit heavy?A 22swift would be even more classic!

Gbal

Just read this thread - interesting read, I've always been fascinated by the No1 - I think its something about the breech-loading artillery feel of them - but been put off by the drawbacks (accuracywise) of the design. What's the 2nd hand market like for K95s? (The drawback there seems to be that, new, they're all overpriced as 'high grade' with gipping germanic deep relief engraving!)

Hi BD,

The K95's have only sold in small numbers in the UK, they very rarely appear on the secondhand market. UKV member 'London Hunter' has a K95 in 6.5x55, this little rifle can shoot cloverleafs all day long. I have to admit that the typically deep chemically etched sideplates with oakleaves and Germanic game scenes are a bit of an acquired taste,

Alan

Hi BD,

The K95's have only sold in small numbers in the UK, they very rarely appear on the secondhand market. UKV member 'London Hunter' has a K95 in 6.5x55, this little rifle can shoot cloverleafs all day long. I have to admit that the typically deep chemically etched sideplates with oakleaves and Germanic game scenes are a bit of an acquired taste,

Alan

I'd give my left nad for a hexagonal barreled k95 in 25-06 with magnaport brake!

Hi BD,

Alan

Yup, they look awful!

What are the gettable-in-UK alternatives?

Hi BD,

The only mainstream alternative I can think of is the Thompson Encore from Viking Arms. Browning Model 1885's are rarely seen in the UK but are available in the US, prices typically run from $1,000 to $2,500 depending on grade and calibre. There are a couple in .260 Rem on Guns International at the moment.

Alternatively, I know where there are a couple of new Daniel Fraser type side lever falling block actions 'in the white'. Be prepared for a four figure sum for the action alone!

Alan

thanks all, iv spoken to a keeper a few miles away and hes kindly offered to bring over his ruger no1 for me to have a go with although he has confirmed what all you have told me, he said he doesn't know why but some days it has an off day for no reason, many thanks for taking your time out to help answer my question, in the words of david Dickenson your all bobby dazzlers :)

I fancied a single shot falling block, shortened radically and moderated. A mild calibre with a rimmed case for woodland deer? or in hornet maybe a dedicated NV or truck gun. chances of me buying a Ruger anything is very low though, there are still some nice custom actions made in the USA as has been touched on though the cost is scary.

I have a falling block weakness , just something about them.

you can get lucky and get a shooter but equally you can get them to shoot but you do need to find a smith with ruger experience to get the best from them

Archived