Hi

I find my self shooting from off my land rover bonnet more and more just lately (foxing) I have just put some checker plate on the bonnet and i have noticed that my rifle jumps more when i take the shot.

I have all ways shot with a Harris bipod and was wondering if the jump of the rifle could effect the shot?

does the recoil happen after the bullet has left the barrel ?

what bipod do you lot use?

I have noticed a lot of the long range chaps over the pond use a type of bipod that is loose in the mounting and lets the bipod move forward and

backwards freely. so would i be better of getting one of this type.

what are your thoughts ?

im after a new bipod 6-9 s so what are the best for shooting off a bonnet.

dont like notched legs

ATB

Col48

The Atlas bipod has considerably more 'play' in terms of swivel and cant, it also allows the user to put more forward pressure into it which is useful when controlling the rifle during the recoil pulse. However Bipod hop from any surface or position is all related to shooter position and what the rifle is recoiling against. You may find your shoulder is not straight behind the rifle causing a downwards pressure on firing (and hence hop at the bipod). If you can control the recoil pulse effectively you can reduce or eliminate hop with a Harris even on hard surfaces.

Hi

I find my self shooting from off my land rover bonnet more and more just lately (foxing) I have just put some checker plate on the bonnet and i have noticed that my rifle jumps more when i take the shot.

I have all ways shot with a Harris bipod and was wondering if the jump of the rifle could effect the shot?

does the recoil happen after the bullet has left the barrel ?

what bipod do you lot use?

I have noticed a lot of the long range chaps over the pond use a type of bipod that is loose in the mounting and lets the bipod move forward and

backwards freely. so would i be better of getting one of this type.

what are your thoug

im after a new bipod 6-9 s so what are the best for shooting off a bonnet.

dont like notched leg

ATB

Col48

There are three generic solutions to front rifle support,via bipod s.

The Harris type with some spring fixed to the forend.

Out and out bench rest with free recoiling rifle in front and back rest

F class type of bipod attached to forend but either more or less fixed in the grass,or on skids which allow movement back with the rifle in recoil(eg third eye Evo)

All have advantages and disadvantages,and some are probably just not on for bonnet use eg the bench rest style.

As others will say,the Harris is the start point,economical but limited.You can the work up to the Atlas,which is considerably more sophisticated and expensive.There was a good review of this class of bipod on site here and in Target Shooter-they are Landy bonnet friendly,but vary in how well they fit your shooting style-eg leaning into them etc

The bench rest are just not practical,though the optimism with a suitable stocked BR rifle,recoiling pretty well straight back.

The skids might be an option?Heavier of course -Evo is 28 oz,but legs are continuously variable via a capstan,but recoil is more or less straight back,and you can lean in or not.I think they would be ok off a bonnet,and there is plenty cant control,via a pod lock.£285 ish).they are very stable,but lack the fold away convenience of Harris type.

Try out and see,I think.To be fair to Harris type-esp the upmarket versions,not too many misses are clearly down to them,and many shooters use them,convenience and good stability are there,but so can be jump and twang,though some can be minimised by appropriate technique,if you can adapt comfortably.Or practice cab exit with a wider skid bipod,which should be much more stable when firing.

No one solution works for everyone,or every application.There is too the Caldwell joystick front rest option(or expensive coaxials),but they are hardly deployable from a land rover at short notice.ok if you are set up though.

Gbal

Just put a piece of neoprene over the checker plate before you shoot, or a hessian sack. or like others have said shoot off a bag or feed sack, much simpler.

It might be easier, and definately cheaper to just use a bag when you shoot off the bonnet

+1

Works a treat and is silent if you have to move position on the bonnet/roof etc.

I shoot off my Ranger bonnet with a harris got a magnetic mat to stop scratches (no good for a landy I know).

I found that if I hold left hand under the butt it jumps so I got a sandbag under the butt and hold the forend works for me.

Hi Thanks for the replys

I might have to change the way i shoot.

At the moment i dont lean in to the bipod, i have done in the past but dont now.

i use my left hand under the but of the gun so the bipod end is left to do as it likes.

will the jump of the rifle affect POI ie group size

And may be a missed target. Not trying to come up with an excuse just that i have noticed since i have put the checker plat on my rifle seems to jump more. not got time to try it to see if it is shooting any different, just wondering if any of you lot have had any issues with this before and save me a lot of time and ammo.

what is the correct way to use a bipod ? are you supposed to lean in to them.

ATB

Col48

You can't do to much about torsion of a rifle with normal bipod when the shot goes out, however the recoil behavior of a rifle can be infuenced. It is a pity

that very few rifle builders think of balancing rifles or do not advise customers when parts are selected for a custom build.

Like with any object that gets accelerated COG and positions where forces enter will dictate in which way an object moves. Worst case scenario

would be a light barrelled action topped with a light scope sitting in a heavy stock with a low mounted recoil pad. In this case the rifle will start

raising the muzzle when the bullet starts leaving the case. This rifle will keep raising the muzzle until the rearward motion comes to a stop. The

famous barrel whip and so called harmonics can be observed in this case very well. Balanced rifles have less barrel whip and different harmonics.

STL in Germany built bipods with the turning point being in the centre of the bore, this lets the rifle torque without lifting a bipod leg or moving off

the line of aim. (Only torsion related)

edi

what is the correct way to use a bipod ? are you supposed to lean in to them.

ATB

Col48

Col,

Here's what I do,

First remove the bipod, then put it in the cupboard muttley.gif

Then use a bag if necessary

Archived