best caliber barrel life

sorry if this has been posted before but i havent seen it..

in your honest opinions what caliber rifle offers the best barrel life, if we say bullets from 40gr to 85gr to narrow it down abit.

i now cleaning regims and velocitys have alot to do with this , but i'd like a general idea..

reason being im looking at needing a new rifle or barrel within the next 12 months, and would like to see what you guys think..

cheers

i take it that its for vermin,223/222 got to be up there with the weights your talking id say 223

so your saying 223 gives the most rounds of good life..

yes pehaps i should just ask for caliber ie.. 243 1500-2000 rounds ect.. 223 ???-????

please keep em coming evryone i'd like alot of opinions on this one..

dont know if it will give the most but like i said must be up there,somebody with more experience of different calibers will tell you more.but id have thought a 223 will out last a 22 250 or 243 given their all shot/cleaned the same

I'd expect well over 5000 rounds from a .223.

A .243 is far more overbore than a .223- my guess would be an absolute maximum of 3000, probably less.

I have a .308 still shooting under 1/3min after a documented 5000+ rounds but that's unusual.

Chris-NZ

222 real good had one 6-7 years plenty of shots through it, when I sold it got a gun smith bore sight it and he couldn't beleave how good it was. Got a 6br and there ment to be real good, 243ai I've heard they arnt great.

when i was reading up on the 204 before having one i read of 2000 rounds dont know how true this amount is depends on how fast you run them and if you get the barrel to hot,seems abit low to me

I read a paper sometime ago in Precision Shooting (I think...) comparing barrel life of various calibres. 6immBRwas way up there with 3-4000 rounds, but what surprised me was 6.5x55 with 6500 and over. So from your list, I think 6mmBR is the sensible choice...

Best wishes

Finman

Been speaking to Steve Kershaw about starting a rebarrelling business today, he has just reused a 22lr barrel and it shoots under an inch at 100yds. That barrel has already had 98,000 rounds through it.

Wow interesting stuff.

Like the sound of these br's. Could be the way to go.

Heres another stupid question.

What's involved in re barrelling

And when a barrel is shot out. Say on a sako a7 243. Can I put any barrel on or what is the normal practice.. im clueless

Wow interesting stuff.

Like the sound of these br's. Could be the way to go.

And when a barrel is shot out. Say on a sako a7 243. Can I put any barrel on or what is the normal practice.. im clueless

Wow interesting stuff.

Like the sound of these br's. Could be the way to g

Sensible/economic re barrel is cartridge with the same boltface,and action length,otherwise you are looking at more expense,or just nogo.Youcant really put a 300 win mag ina 243 actions yet a 308 or 6 BR are ok.as the bolt face is the same.Different makes come in several action lengths,Tikkas might just be one,so different make have more/ess restrictions-or compromises.You may be able to have a different bolt.

Magazine feed s another consideration.Basically,there are go and no go options

Oh right. So I could keep the exact same rifle barrel but have it as a 6mm br. Ideal.

What about putting a different barrel on the same action. Is that possible.

Do you have any idea roughly what it costs for a re barrel...

sorry if this has been posted before but i havent seen it..

in your honest opinions what caliber rifle offers the best barrel life, if we say bullets from 40gr to 85gr to narrow it down abit.

i now cleaning regims and velocitys have alot to do with this , but i'd like a general idea..

reason being im looking at needing a new rifle or barrel within the next 12 months, and would like to see what you guys think..

cheers

Forget cleaning,assume good technique.

Barrel life is dependent on barrel quality/manufacture method and two main cartridge factors:amount of powder bu rend more accurately its temperature and duration and whether overbore.

A overbore cartridge essentially one bigger than usual fort the calibre(so burns more powder).for example the 224s.

A22 Middlestead(243 necked to 224) is overbore,and much reduces barrel life,the 22/250 less so,the 223 is considerably gentler,but burns a little more than the 222. The Hornet is probably easiest on barrels,though the 22 rf will not probably never reach damage temperature so has very great life.

Most research is into"hotter powders"- like double base-and there is no free lunch.

Burn more/hotter,

throat /wear more.The correlation is positive and considerable.

Cartridge design might help-the short,fat cases can be more efficient,so need less powder.

there are a few things to consider when re barreling. that affect how much action being the main one. I have a BSA CF2 in .243 when I asked I was told it was a large diameter so finding a barrel without going for a blank would be hard to make it economical.

But say you have a remi 700 in .243 the cheapest would be a take off, someones unwanted barrel from a custom build. some will be new or very near. Headspace reproof your done. not what you want then barrel blank prices vary with more options to choose from depending on how much you want to spend, Then you have caliber again more choice 6mmBR I believe you have to decide on which bullet weight for throat length and twist rate.

try here http://www.6mmbr.com/varmint.html here http://www.6mmbr.com/6mmbr.html the other pages are worth a read too.

Oh right. So I could keep the exact same rifle barrel but have it as a 6mm br. Ideal.

What about putting a different barrel on the same action. Is that possible.

Do you have any idea roughly what it costs for a re barrel...

I'm not sure what you mean by 'Keep the exact same rifle barrel..."

Generally,you can't sensibly rechamber a barrel economically,though sometimes a barrel can be cut a few inches shorter and rechambered-but it won' be a new barrel,of course.

Fitting another barrel to an action is generally straightforward.The cartridge chosen will have to be of a length that fits the action,and the bolt face,unless you also get a new bolt of that face size.one reason Sakos are much liked is that they come in action lengths that fit different cartridges,and this makes for a nice action,and bolt travel matched to the cartridge (short medium long,magnum).not all makers currently offer this-0lder Tikkas did,not sure if the new ones do.You can' put a longer cartridge into a shorter action,but yo can go the other way,with a bit more work on magazine and feeding.The difference inbolt travel will hardly be noticeable.

You can get the dimensions of cartridges from eg Barnes "Cartridges of the world",or some from Accurate shooter website.

The 6br is essentially a short 243 ,so boltface is the same.The 6 ppc though derives from a different Russian parent,and does not share that boltface. There is plenty of choice within the prolific 243 /308 w bolt face.

A custom rifle- and a few pricier factory models- offer switch barrel -the barrels quite simply screw off and on with a minimum of tools.So you could have the same rifle in say 308,and a switch barrel in 6br. You would need a goodsmith to explain why that is'nt easy alas in say a sako,but no real issue for a good custom action-essentially it's about quality engineering.often it just makes more sense to get a second factory rifle in the other cartridge-a top barrel fitted will be £750 upward.it can make sense in a custom rifle with top action,bolt,stock,scope....etc,where a different cartridge but otherwise clone might be £5000 .

Sonicsoints are worth considering- unless you absolutely must have top notch performance- and it can' be absolutely guaranteed,fitting a factory barrel will be cheaper,and some do buy factory for the action,and ditch the barrel(seems dubious to me,by the time work has been done,but it will get a better rifle for less than custom but more than factory)- anyhow,,it means there are factory barrels aboutif cost becomes an issue - as it should,when you consider actual usage- realistic accuracy leaning against a fence post will not approach bench rest standards,and simply does not need to(1 shot in minimum 2 inches,not 25 shots in .2 of an inch! ).

The good news is that there is a rather large set of choices,and some constraints.All that said,a 6 BR does almost everything rather well,and short of big deer,very well to 600 yards-and can go much further,but then you are into heavier bullets and faster twists-essentially another rifle,or at least barrel! Barrel life too is very good.It's a very good and shoot able cartridge(see accurate shooter site,used to be called 6br.)That will be informative if geared towards the experienced shooter in some of the fine tuning etc.

Gbal

Archived