Annealing another dumb question!!

pcon

Howdy folks,

I been looking at annealing my brass and there seems to be an issue with the correct temperature. On some sites and Y/T videos 650F is recommended and on others (mainly american ones) 750F is recommended.

Which is correct???

650 bottom 450 shoulder neck area

i have some tempilaq here if you need any

Others better qualified will probably chip-in but I think its 650 .... the important factor is that this heat must not be allowed to translate down the case and soften the rest of the body.

the heat must be applied quickly to just the neck/shoulder area where its needed

Others better qualified will probably chip-in but I think its 650 .... the important factor is that this heat must not be allowed to translate down the case and soften the rest of the body.

the heat must be applied quickly to just the neck/shoulder area where its needed

;) spot on info

I use 750f Tempilaq painted inside the neck and also in a line down over the shoulder and halfway down the case.

I put 450f paint from halfway down the case to the headstamp. The green 750f should turn black 1/4 inch below the shoulder.

The pink 450f turns red in the middle of the case by 1/4 inch, but stays pink for the remainder down to the headstamp.

That does it for me and yes the Benchsource instructions say 650f, but a well known F class shooter of some repute uses the 750/450f combo so I have done the same and my cases are annealed correctly with my machine and 2 burners.

But do whatever you think works for you.

So some use 650F and others use 750F .... mmmmh .....

do those using 650f consider 750f too hot

and

do those using 750f consider 650f not hot enough????

• 3 weeks later...

As it is a heat over time relationship then any heat works. The fly in the ointment is that too low of a heat allows the heat to transfer down the case before the neck gets enough. I use the 750 temp and my cases look just like the ones from lapua, at 650 deg they don't change color so I don't think that is working.

Archived