Remington 700 Action mis-fires

I have a Remington 700 action .223 on a Lilja 8 twist barrel in an AI stock, built by Mik at Dolphin.

For a while now I've been experiencing mis-fires. When I used CCI BR-4 primers the rate of misfire was somthing like 1 round in 8 or 10. On advice from a friend I changed back to Remington BR primers. This seemed to 'fix' it but on Sunday, out of a batch of 51 loads, I had 4 mis-fires.

I've stripped the bolt and cleaned everything a few times. I've booked it in with Norman Clark but it won't be looked at for a couple of months.

Has anyone else had a similar problem and, if so, what was the fault?

I'm currently giving it an extra clean in my ultrasonic cleaning bath.........................

P.S. If this is not the correct forum for this query please direct me to th eright one.

Hi,

Simplest thing to do first is check the striker (firing pin) protrusion in the fired position with a vernier. It should measure between .055-.062" from the bolt face. If you have any difficulties please PM me with your 'phone No.

Alan

Have you spoken to Mik? I'm sure he would want to look at it first,

As already mentioned it's almost certainly a firing pin issue

Many thanks to all for your comments and advice. I forgot to mention that the trigger is a Jewel.

I haven't contacted Mik about this because he lives at the other end of the country from me and sending or taking the rifle to him would be a huge expense. It only occured to me after reading all your replies that I could probably get away with sending the just the bolt.

Hi,

Simplest thing to do first is check the striker (firing pin) protrusion in the fired position with a vernier. It should measure between .055-.062" from the bolt face. If you have any difficulties please PM me with your 'phone No.

Alan

I'll carry out that measurement later today or tomorrow. Many thanks for the offer and I'll get back to you pending the result.................

Just checked and the pin protrudes between 0.055" an 0.060" from the bolt face. I've also emailed Mik.

Firing pin protrusion is fine.

Now you need to measure the distance the cocking piece protrudes from the back of the bolt shroud, and the add that to the distance the cocking piece sits below the bolt shroud once fired. If its below .240 then your firing pin travel is a bit too short and you should look at going to a heavier firing pin spring to compensate. Or try a different trigger to give you more travel.

Firing pin protrusion is fine.

Now you need to measure the distance the cocking piece protrudes from the back of the bolt shroud, and the add that to the distance the cocking piece sits below the bolt shroud once fired. If its below .240 then your firing pin travel is a bit too short and you should look at going to a heavier firing pin spring to compensate. Or try a different trigger to give you more travel.

The first measurement is 0.037" and the depth below the bolt face when fired is 0.208" so the total is 0.245", only 5 thou above min.

I was at HPS yesterday buying some powder and John very kindly gave me a new spring. having Googled how to fit one I'm hope and praying the ultrasonic cleaning I gave the bolt housing has done the trick.

It's a shame I didn't think of doing these measurements before the clean 'cos that would have confirmed there was something preventing full travel.

By the way, I really appreciate the help you're giving. Many thanks.

I have the same on a T3 factory rifle in 223. Doing it with any factory ammo. The firing pin seem to protrude quite ok when I measured it a while ago.

Could it could be a headspace issue in my case...??

Two days ago it took 5 rounds to get two shot's out of the barrel, fox was laughing at me ....but not for long.

edi

The first measurement is 0.037" and the depth below the bolt face when fired is 0.208" so the total is 0.245", only 5 thou above min.

I was at HPS yesterday buying some powder and John very kindly gave me a new spring. having Googled how to fit one I'm hope and praying the ultrasonic cleaning I gave the bolt housing has done the trick.

It's a shame I didn't think of doing these measurements before the clean 'cos that would have confirmed there was something preventing full travel.

By the way, I really appreciate the help you're giving. Many thanks.

No problem, .230 is really about minimum travel standard rifle with factory trigger is normally around .270. People don't realise that fitting different triggers can alter the firing pin travel.

I have the same on a T3 factory rifle in 223. Doing it with any factory ammo. The firing pin seem to protrude quite ok when I measured it a while ago.

Could it could be a headspace issue in my case...??

Two days ago it took 5 rounds to get two shot's out of the barrel, fox was laughing at me ....but not for long.

edi

Edi,

If the bolt feels very easy to recock after dry firing, your firing pin spring maybe a bit weak. Strip it, clean it, replace the spring and I would imagine your problem will be solved.

Edi,

If the bolt feels very easy to recock after dry firing, your firing pin spring maybe a bit weak. Strip it, clean it, replace the spring and I would imagine your problem will be solved.

Is there an easy method for replacing the spring without special tools like this...........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEn0yaNhGzw

Edi,

Thanks, could be. I'll need to check it.

edi

Hi, Only managed to open the link when I went thro my email client. Unfortunately it only showed how to dismantle the bolt and not the firing pin spring, which is what I need to know. Thanks anyway.

Hi, Only managed to open the link when I went thro my email client. Unfortunately it only showed how to dismantle the bolt and not the firing pin spring, which is what I need to know. Thanks anyway.

Realised that it wasn't what you needed. so removed post. :)

Just thought I'd post an update on this problem.

The ultrasonic cleaning of the bolt housing seems to have done the trick. After drying and re-assembly I shot 30 test rounds and they all fired normally.

Interestingly, when the fault became apparent, group sizes opened up considerably. John, at HPS, told me that one of the symptoms of a weak spring is erratic group stringing so I can only assume that some muck I couldn't see was softening the firing pin impact which emulated a weak spring.

Archived