Gain twist

johnd

Hi everyone what true advantage does a gain twist barrel have over a normal twist? And witch gain twist would you recommend for 1000yd shooting, using 308 cal,31or 32 " barrel , running mostly 155.5 and also capable of 185 Bergers. And best powder choice please for those two types of head.

IVE TRIED THREE DIFFERENT BARRELS IN THREE DIFFERENT CALIBERS AND NOT NOTICED ANY BENEFITS

For what it's worth I have a Bartlein 308 barrel with a Gain twist.

It starts at 1:12 and goes to approx. 1:11.5 so not much of a change it is 32" long

It shoots great with 155's and 185 Berger Juggernauts.

Load wise I use N150 for the 185's and I have given up on the 155's as the 185's are just so much better.

The barrel was throated to take a COAL with a 155 Lapua scenar of 2.950" this allows me to use the 185's with a good amount of powder behind them to get good MV.

My MV's are as follows

155gr Scenar = 3040fps

185gr Berger Juggernaut = 2822fps

Hope this is of some use

Cheers

Bruce

Gain twist is useful when using very heavy for calibre bullets, which require fast twist rates, but would be "torn up" if started with fast twist.

Ive spoken to numerous users in the F Class and larger caliber extreme long range arena - many have had problems with non stable muzzle velocity...

no matter how much load development is undertaken.

Archived