Paypal

Orka Akinse

Just started with this Paypal lark. Each time I have used it the people I have been paying have ended up with less that they thought they were getting.

Can someone tell me how to limit the charges and secondly, how do I find out how much the charges are so I can add them to the cost? This is getting embarrassing some are being real gents about it others react like you think I'd just nicked the crown jewels.

Thanks

You can do as a 'goods or services' or 'gift' type transaction, the 'goods' one, the seller takes the hit on charges, if you 'gift' it, you pay charges. I can't remember the rates though, but it is probably there in the small print somewhere. But my theory is, if somebody is selling, and they accept PayPal, they should either, up the Paypal price to cover the fees, or accept the hit, or just don't use PayPal, a company known to be 'anti shooting'

Regards

Pete

You can do as a 'goods or services' or 'gift' type transaction, the 'goods' one, the seller takes the hit on charges, if you 'gift' it, you pay charges. I can't remember the rates though, but it is probably there in the small print somewhere. But my theory is, if somebody is selling, and they accept PayPal, they should either, up the Paypal price to cover the fees, or accept the hit, or just don't use PayPal, a company known to be 'anti shooting'

Regards

Pete

Thanks Pete the last guy is getting himself all bent outa shape over 16p :o !!

How do I know if someone rejects my payment where does it show up and what does it cost me?

To be fair when the item is 15p I would be quite upset too.

Thanks Pete the last guy is getting himself all bent outa shape over 16p :o !!

How do I know if someone rejects my payment where does it show up and what does it cost me?

Paypal Gift does not give the buyer-sender any guarantee so be carefull with that one unless you know and trust the seller-recipient

4% ? is the charge for paypal so what alot of sellers ask is for that to be added to price if choosing the paypal route, I thought Gift there were no charges for either party, I certainly have never been charged.

I think the charges are now 5% I added the 4% to the £8 and the seller only got £7.84 so he's rejected my payment. Not bad considering he didn't even ask for the extra fee charges. Think I'm gonna bin this mularky before I get a sense of humour failure.

Still how do I know my rejected payment is back in my account?

Check your paypal or bank account should show in one of them.

Checked my visa nothing and a paypal account.... whats one of those? I never used one I only used paypal three times to pay for things sorry but as you have guessed computers really arnt my thing... yet

Well I'm a big enough man to put his hand up and admit to probably being the 'seller' in question.

Please dont take anything in this comment as personal as it certainly isnt meant to appear that way.

Paypal fees are now about 4% plus 20p or thereabouts. I have recently been having a large clear out of stuff, some of which I've sold real cheaply to clear space fast and in some cases without doing enough research on my part as regard to postal costs. (my bad)

When I sell an item I have in my head a figure I'd like to achieve. I disagree strongly with the fees paypal charge but know that some people dont want to pay by snail mail. Strangely some folk would rather pay cash in an envelope than send a cheque or PO :blink: given the risks of posting cash or even using paypal as a gift.

As has been said earlier you do give up certain rights if paying by paypal as a gift but it doesnt cost you a stamp or take several days to complete the transaction. I always give the buyer the option to pay by cheque if they prefer to. Most dont. I'd like to think thats because I am a trustworthy guy. I've been around the forums for quite a while and have built up a reasonable post count and normally there are a few folk that will vouch for me if push came to shove.

I certainly wouldnt pay out a huge amount to a noob selling an expensive item without a little research. That said I did just buy a £1450 rifle, sight unseen by bank transfer where I paid funds to a third party who was not the seller! Maybe I hit my head a little earlier...

I also choose to use the same user name across whatever forums I frequent, maybe i'm just not very inventive or perhaps slightly simple. LOL

I did refund the entire payment as I had had several people underpay me last night, perhaps I should have sucked it up, but for whatever reason I didnt. I apologise if I caused any offence by doing so, I sometimes dont realise that there are people out there who know even less about on line business than I do (which isnt much I readily admit).

To the best of my knowledge I have refunded the initial payment in full. If however it transpires that something has gone astray I will sort it out so you are in no way inconvenienced.

Mark

EDIT
I have just reprocessed the refund and now it shows up as it should. You should have an email to cover the transaction

Paypal Gift does not give the buyer-sender any guarantee so be carefull with that one unless you know and trust the seller-recipient

4% ? is the charge for paypal so what alot of sellers ask is for that to be added to price if choosing the paypal route, I thought Gift there were no charges for either party, I certainly have never been charged.

There is not normally any charge to the sender if the funds sent come from credit already in your account. If you have to dip into your card funds or bank account to make up the payment then there will be a charge incurred (found that out the hard way)

MArk

Another option is to pay on-line via your bank account. It won't have the payment protection, but I find I am paying more and more bills online from my current account. PayPal are only interested in the sellers that generate lots of income for them. Regards JCS

Mark

Nothing personal taken and hopefully it is reciprocated. Email received re the first payment thanks. As stated earlier you are only the third person I've paid and to be honest I prefer to send a cheque and am happy for sellers to clear it first as this is the condition I am clear about when I sell something. I have paid again hopefully you will get the full amount this time?

Best wishes

OA

Ps Wrt user names, I've been round forums many years and had (on one occasion personally) and witnessed others have issues dragged across the internet, a few justifiably but most unjustifiably so and it is easily solved by using different U/N. My post here was asking how PP worked.

The other problem with paypal is if anything does go wrong and guns or anything thats not alound to be sold on Ebay is in question you will not get paid out and probably find your account frozen and unable to withdraw or transfer money.

Archived