Gulls and black backed gulls

247sniper

Hi guys,

Ill be putting the Larsen traps out shortly. Normally they get surrounded by gulls and black backed gulls. ( It is legal to shoot Herring and Black blacked gulls where i from)

Question is, what cartridges would you recommend to put the 's down. They can be pretty close or can be circling quite high, I was thinking about using full choke and a 32 gram 6 (Plenty of lead) as im not going to eat them, but i get mixed reports on what people use, some people say that you need to use 4's.

What have/do you use that works or what would you recommend and why?

Cheers guys

Steve.

I've never shot one but would use a wild fowling load personally. Anything with thick waterproof plumage that doesn't have to flap it's wings a lot to travel a long distance you would want to fold up. I can imagine trying to find a wounded one that you've hit while circling relatively high would be a nightmare.

Cheers

Rich

years ago i had the good fortune to be asked to "move on" ;) a few gulls on farmland near a land fill, i used 4 shot and the rimfire when the chance arose.

"they dont like it up em" when one was downed the others just wheeled around making a right racket.

made it very simple to sort them. best bit of pest control i ever had.

Thanks for all your input so far guys, thanks.

Gary, I know and understand what you are saying, even if you pick a dead gull up and throw it in the air as high as you can, every gull within miles will come over to see what's going on, then it's just a case if picking them off !

If you are doing gulls on the ground 55g Vmax out or a .223 is good medicine with little chance of ricochets. If shooting them in the air I use three and a half inch magnums throwing 2 1/4 ounce of No 1 or BB out of a ten bore. Swats a couple every time and keeps them nailed to the ground.

The best gull shooting I ever had was flighting them onto a pond at night . They came in in a lot greater numbers than I expected so I soon ran out of my trusty no3 mini magnums ( victory ) so fel back onto a case of no 7 clay cartridges I had in the pickup they killed just as we'll as the 3 s I ended up with 96 lesser black back gulls we are allowed to shoot them here 80 of them would be with no 7 ounce load clay cartridges give them a try.

The reason for the 4 or 5, rather than heavier was purely for a denser pattern. Can be big holes in a pattern at range with BB.

An ounce load wouldn't be my first choice, but must have worked for you.

It is in my opinion a crying shame that these gulls have been offered levels of protection now, unless you get consent from NE to control them.

Sure thoughs that enforced this protection, have never witnessed a flock of gulls quatering a moor or wetlands hovering up ground nesting bird chicks....they are experts and will return until their evil deeds are done.

The big ten bore patterns beautifully with both BB and No1. The load is two and a quarter ounces. I shoot a lot of these birds for a couple of Airports and in the past I have had .22HV rattle off black backed gulls at 50M. If you reload for the ten its no more expensive and gives good practice for the goose culling.

• 1 month later...

i used to shoot a land fill site years ago, gulls ,foxes, rabbits etc, what a place for rifle,shot gun, air rifle the best pest control ive ever had in my life, sadly health and safety laws put an end to it,but as mentioned above will sort every thing out, cheers simon...

36 grm of no.5 lead will kill mostly anything with feathers if in range! I do like to practice on high crows with my own 10 bore and BB in steel but it could never be the gun of choice compared to a semi auto 12 gauge. There is a big fallacy about armour plated birds, if you shoot for the head and neck the bum dies quickly, hit them up the bum and the head could live on a week. Never been able to shoot them legally but they cannot be much tougher than crows

Archived