Split case necks

Guest varmartin

Guest varmartin

I normally use Remington 17grain vmax 17HMR ammo, but have recently been using Winchester 17 grain stuff.

Accuracy is on a par if not slightly better with the Winchester stuff but....

See the image below...has any one else noticed split cases ?

Case measurements.

..............................................U/fired ......................................fired

middle of neck..........................0.190.......................................0.191

shoulder/case junction...............0.238......................................0.241

case head/body junction............0.237.......................................0.244

Measurements taken between split cases and un-split cases vary by 0.001

Usually we all just throw rimfire cases in the bin or hedge or where ever...and not worry about what they look like.

Martin

resizewizardhmrcaseskb1.jpg

Guest varmartin

My rifle is a CZ 452 Varmint.

Not noticed it on any other ammo.

I put it down to low Quality ammo as not all cases showed splits ?

even though accuracy was still very acceptable at around the 1 inch mark @100 yards. with a 3-9 x40 scope.

Martin

Hi martin,

I have had the odd case split now and again, Not that it causes any worry???

It,s not as if you need them to reload is it??,,

As you know i use mine alot,,, The only thing that i Have done is gone onto 20 grainers for the odd fox??

If accuracy is up tp par??? Then i would not worry, One bit!!!

Did hear a lot of this from a lot of lads in the states when the 17hmr first came out!!

Speak soon, Darrel

I also have noticed remington 17,s to split in my savage, however i dont think it is brass quality between different brands as they near enough all come from the same factory, i think because 17HMR is such a dirty little round a build up of powder residue/carbon in the chamber/throat it maby a partial cause of split brass as i gave my chamber a good polish out and as yet hav not had another split case since, this may just have been a coinsidence, but i still think that the 17hmr requires harsh chamber cleaning session after each use.

Its a standard occurence with the .17hmr.Its a lot to do with brass quality, as basically its crap....but thats all it needs to be, as its fired once and thrown away. It will have no effect on the guns accuracy. Now you,ve gotta find something else to worry about. :lol:

Guest varmartin

Well I am glad a few of you HMR shooters have noticed it , Now I can rule out a baggy chamber in my 452.

I was not really worried...more intrigued as to why ???

As I said..We just bin them anyway, and of `low quality brass` is all it needs to be...as baldie said :lol: .

Cheers for the replies lads.

Martin

I've had a lot of splits in my 452 American. That's with Remington ammo. I've heard it's because the cases are necked down after the priming compound is added. They can't anneal the necks after because of the heat issue. I'd say 10% of mine split, although none as bad as yours. The shots still hit spot on, so I'm not too worried.

Archived