shortening ppc barrel

I am considering shorting my sako 6ppc usa barrel ( factory barrel) it's a stainless 22mm varmint , I think it is about 22 inches at present .

has anyone tried this ?

good /bad idea ?

What would would be considered the optimum lenght?

I was considering maybe about 18 inches?

I understand that there is a trade off in reduced Velocity and possible increased muzzle blast.

thanks

I am considering shorting my sako 6ppc usa barrel ( factory barrel) it's a stainless 22mm varmint , I think it is about 22 inches at present .

has anyone tried this ?

good /bad idea ?

What would would be considered the optimum lenght?

I was considering maybe about 18 inches?

I understand that there is a trade off in reduced Velocity and possible increased muzzle blast.

thanks

I've run 6PPC benchguns at 18 inches with no probs - but that's with 66/68gn bullets.

i think for benchrest no problem at all,but if your hunting you will loose velocity etc

As other replies-compact has advantages too,but you will lose some fps-the recent averages on here for 223-308 calibres have all been quite similar and in the typical range -around 15-20 fps per inch in the usual 24-18 barrel lemgth.100fps won't make a quantum difference for most applications.

g

i think for benchrest no problem at all,but if your hunting you will loose velocity etc

i dont think vermin will be bothered about a little loss in velocity.

it only takes 1ft/lb to kill a rabbit with a head shot.

• 2 weeks later...
i dont think vermin will be bothered about a little loss in velocity.

it only takes 1ft/lb to kill a rabbit with a head shot.

ye you are right pal, but to me when your shooting 300 plus yards, every inch of barrel counts to me...

Leave well alone,,,,,,,,read an article about a windless "secret factory" where some clued up guys did a lot of experimenting with barrel length in their 6ppc,s ,,,222,s etc and amongst other key tricks they arrived at the magic barrel length in the region of 22" for these calibres.21 3/4 I think??

Perhaps Sako knew what they were doing.Wish I still had my 6PPC Sako VLS in the cuboard sometimes,,,,doh!!! Onehole

The reason I have considered this at all is the overall weight of the rifle scope mod is nearly 14 lb.

Onehole i agree with you point to leave it alone, but that's just it - it gets left alone in the cabinet most of the time.

The barrel is 23 3/4 inches ( or 600 mm) . I'm considering 20 inches. Along with lighter hardy mod.

I would like to use it during the doe season at the moment it's not practical.

I bought it 2nd hand back in 2002 , so the tube might be getting near the end anyway. In which case I will go for a much lighter profile next time round. Thanks for all the input .

Leave well alone,,,,,,,,read an article about a windless "secret factory" where some clued up guys did a lot of experimenting with barrel length in their 6ppc,s ,,,222,s etc and amongst other key tricks they arrived at the magic barrel length in the region of 22" for these calibres.21 3/4 I think??

The famous Houston Warehouse! Yes, a very famous era in competitive benchrest shooting. Something around 211/2 inches produced best results. Most benchresters will use a 21 - 23 inch barrel (depending on class weight) and run their bullets at around 3250 fps.

The famous Houston Warehouse! Yes, a very famous era in competitive benchrest shooting. Something around 211/2 inches produced best results. Most benchresters will use a 21 - 23 inch barrel (depending on class weight) and run their bullets at around 3250 fps.

Yeah makes a very good read,,,,recommend all to read it if not done already.,,,,,,,,22,s best then ??,,,,then 6mm,,,,,,,and 30 cal giving good account of itself. I know these are benchrest situations and most of us need more barrel,,,calibre,,,,velocity etc etc for our chosen applications but you have to take note of what actually happened there on those spooky nights in the factory!!!! I like the closing comment about "ARC ing" cases would love to know what that last little gem was all about.

Now there,s a bloody great cow shed at the Royal Cornwall Show site praps I can get me self in there for a night????,,,,,only joking !

• 2 weeks later...

Archived