Range finding at night ?

Aggy

Hello As title .I went out with my home built Watec night vision rig last night "set up on .22 hornet " I am using a night master 800 IR .First shot i took head shot rabbit at an esitmated 80 yrd ,100 yrd zero so aimed at it and missed low by a fair amount .paced it out to approx 140 yrd .i spotted on 4x mag and took the shot on 8 x .I dont know if the 16mm lens I have on the Watec is further magnifing the image throwing out my range finding .The camera is excellent I am getting eye shine and a rough shape at over 400 yrd with the night master on ful power upto 200 it is just like looking at a B&W tv in HD .

Mick

With NV I just use my laser rangefinder held in one hand set on "pulse mode", then pick the laser pulse up through NV unit and walk it onto target and then read the range off.

You need to practice but it does work fine.

Not easy rangefinding whilst using NV.

Hello As title .I went out with my home built Watec night vision rig last night "set up on .22 hornet " I am using a night master 800 IR .First shot i took head shot rabbit at an esitmated 80 yrd ,100 yrd zero so aimed at it and missed low by a fair amount .paced it out to approx 140 yrd .i spotted on 4x mag and took the shot on 8 x .I dont know if the 16mm lens I have on the Watec is further magnifing the image throwing out my range finding .The camera is excellent I am getting eye shine and a rough shape at over 400 yrd with the night master on ful power upto 200 it is just like looking at a B&W tv in HD .

Mick

I don't know what ammo your feeding the Hornet but I might answer your question with a suggestion. I zero at 130 and with my current load its point and shoot on a rabbits head to 150 were it is 3/4" low, that's about 1/2" high at 100 if that's your range facility 2900 fps 45 grn sierra. keeping the mag on one level might educate your eye? I changed to a fixed 6 on the rim fire a while back (after many other variables etc) and I know find by hit rate is the highest ever as I can judge the range better through the scope via image size ( I don't mean bracketing just plain seeing ). I don't use NV as cannot justify the cost, just a lamp but the issue is still the same at night (no external reference points)

Just using factory 35 grn vmax at the moment 100 yrd zero from a bench taking the shot standing using two leg sticks

Just using factory 35 grn vmax at the moment 100 yrd zero from a bench taking the shot standing using two leg sticks
I might just check how it generally shoots daylight at that range off sticks first, sorry not a fan of 35's and off sticks as well its hard shooting- I couldn't guarantee a head shot at all with that bullet at such a range from my own gun

I will give it a try in day light .When I took the shot I was confident It was good .But like you say I could have rocked backwards or forwards on the sticks .

Mick

As most of my shooting is done from the truck at nights, when i get there in daylight i range find all the bigger bushes, trees, bigger fence posts and keep note of this, At night though the NV i can get the distance of the target fairly quickly from the notes. I do this from distances out to 400 yards or so and by doing this i ca keep track of the foxes distances as it passes my landmarks ive ranged previously.

Obviously would be a different game altogether if you are constantly walking around the ground shooting.

Archived