beam scale tuning

jimmy milnes

It depends how far you want to go, how handy you are, what scale it is etc. If it's something standard like an RCBS 502 then, unless there is any mechanical damage to the knife edges, then a basic service and clean up is usually all that is required to get it working like new again.

The heart of any beam scale is the knife edge/bearing set-up - All the standard RCBS scales (502,505, 5-10, 10/10) use exactly the same knife edge system so none is more accurate than the other.

If you want to have a go yourself then you need to have a careful inspection of the knife edges with a high power glass. they should be straight and no dull edges or burrs. The should also come to a point in line with the lower edge. If they need dressing up, I use a very fine diamond lap.

The Agate bearing should be free to wobble about in their housings, I polish the bearings and the housings to minimise any friction. The pan hanger saddle should hang in the centre of it's own knife edges.

A very easy mod to make the scales nicer to use is to cut a thin strip of felt and stick it in the bottom of the damper slot. When you remove the pan the damper comes crashing down (I believe this this action tends to dull the knife edges) the bit of felt means the damper has a soft landing.

Here's a couple of videos I made about tuning scales.

th_20130218_180742_zps8e761db8.jpgth_20130119_140418.jpgth_20130124_190913-1.jpgth_20130124_191500-1.jpg

Hi 1066

Thanks for the in depth reply im much obliged to ya for as Grouse says tell your secrets. However as im saving my pocket money allowance for one of your powered trickles think ill make it my aim to save a little more and have my scales done too. Would it be possible to PM me a price and turn round time please

Kind regards

Jimmy

Archived