Barrel Channel

NICK

Gents

I currently have a Heavy Barrel 25-06 AI sat in a McMillan Stock. I am re barreling the Action in a Sporter Weight but would like to use the same Stock. Obviously the Barrel Channel will be far bigger than needed and would not be very pleasing to the Eye. Is it possible to fill the forend with something and then machine out again with a Channel more suited to the Sporter Barrel?

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Nick.

Cheapest way is to get the rifle re-barreled, then wrap barrel in 50mm wide electrical tape until you increase diameter by 1-2mm a side. Then re-bed the barrel channel with a mixture of epoxy and micro balloons. Let it go hard, sand flush and then get the stock painted.

Cheapest way is to get the rifle re-barreled, then wrap barrel in 50mm wide electrical tape until you increase diameter by 1-2mm a side. Then re-bed the barrel channel with a mixture of epoxy and micro balloons. Let it go hard, sand flush and then get the stock painted.

Good idea.

Would you not get small ridges at the edge of each wrap of tap?

As Akeld said I would wait and see if it really looks so bad once the barrels in.

Good idea.

Would you not get small ridges at the edge of each wrap of tap?

As Akeld said I would wait and see if it really looks so bad once the barrels in.

I mean wrap or lay it lengthwise along the barrel Zo, that's why you need the 50mm tape.

Gents.

Thank you very much for the replies, i really appreciate them.

Dan, Excuse my ignorance but what are Micro Balloons?

Dorg, Again please excuse my ignorance but i am not sure what you mean by using a shrink wrap tube.

Sorry if i am being a bit Dim :blush: .

Ronin. Surely whatever i do will be much cheaper than a new stock?

Many thanks to all.

Nick.

Gents.

Thank you very much for the replies, i really appreciate them.

Dan, Excuse my ignorance but what are Micro Balloons?

Dorg, Again please excuse my ignorance but i am not sure what you mean by using a shrink wrap tube.

Sorry if i am being a bit Dim :blush: .

Ronin. Surely whatever i do will be much cheaper than a new stock?

Many thanks to all.

Nick.

Hi Nick,

Glass micro balloons are a lightweight filler which you add to epoxy to bulk it out without adding much extra weight. Basically this is what McMillan use in the light fill sections of their sporter stocks. If you google west systems epoxy you will find more info on them there.

Dorg means heat shrink tubing, so you would find some the correct diameter for your barrel, then put it over the barrel and apply heat with a hot air gun. It will then shrink and adhere to the contour of the barrel thereby giving you clearance for the bedding material.

Archived