A mid power 6.5 wild cat

Guest northernchris

Guest northernchris

Here is a pic below of a calibre Ian and myself have been playing about with.The one on the right is a 6.5 x 47 Lapua for comparison.As you can see capacity wise the wildcat should run another 7%-8% more powder.

IMG_0148.jpg

Looks like a .260ai ? what bullet weight are you bad lads thinking of running? 139grains ? or a seriously smokin 123 ? :D You are not right....you know that dontcha :P

Guest varmartin

Not a wildcatter my self, but do like thinking and reading about them.

What brass are you using ?

As you know Lapua is the best, but they dont make 22/250 brass.

Have you considered/ or are you using .243 win brass necked up to 6.5 then Forming it in your Ackley chamber?

Last time I heard of someone using Lapua .243 for a .22/250 chamber the brass became quite thick in the neck and had to be turned to acceptable thickness after full length sizing in .22/250 dies .!!

Sounds like it could be a good round. :D

ps...I think the small primers only work better in short fat powder columns as it gives a more even powder burn hence the ultra low ES figures .

Martin

Martin,

i can see where you are coming form mate, sound principles are you sure you are not a closet wildcatter :D:P

Its a lot simpler then that, just a improved 22-250 case necked up to 264, in this case a Hornady but the others have been done on Norma cases.

Because of the lack of good 22-250 brass i have dabbled in necking down Lapua 243 cases simple because i have a stack of them to play around with plenty of neck turning carried out.

One advantage was that you could utilise the extra length of the 243 case to give as near a neck length as the standard 22-250 case.

Using the 243 case would sure have some benefits but then the designation would have to be 6.5/243 Short Improved :P

We are seriously looking into getting a reamer made up cos we reckon that ballistically it would have an edge on the 6.5x47, being able to handle 139grn bullets easily and because of the lesser charge would be better balanced and lower pressure then the 260.

As for accuracy only side by side tests would tell if it was as accurate as the 6.5x47 Lapua

Ian.

Martin, we are not claiming to have designed anything, its just an idea we turned into reality, as i explained to Chris, nearly every concieveable case/bullet combination has been tried, so its no surprise that it already exists.

Thanks for the link by the way, that means that reamers are already available.

Ian.

Guest northernchris

Sounds like a good name mate :D

At some point or another as Ian said 99.9% of things will have been done.

It would be possible to make it different again by blowing the shoulder out to 45 deg and reducing the neck length.An improved improved version :P Abit like the differance between a K-Hornet and an ICL Hornet :P

The small primer is a definate advantage. It gives a more controlled burn rate, and i believe is slightly hotter. People ream the flash hole just for uniformity, funky, and it does work. I fully prepped some 6br stuff this way, and its unreal accuracy wise. Incidentally, the first 6.5x47,s lapua tested [prototypes] were large primer pocket, but they switched to small, probarbly for the accuracy/es reasons, but possibly because its such a high pressure case too?

Vince has just chambered a truflite for test, and he showed me the case last week..... :unsure: lets just say its another belter.

good luck with this guys, its enthralling, and i hope it does what you wish, keep us up to speed eh. :lol:

Guest northernchris

As Ian said in an earlier post

"We are seriously looking into getting a reamer made up cos we reckon that ballistically it would have an edge on the 6.5x47"

How do you think wildcats are born Pete???? You wouldnt just draw a case then get a reamer made now would you :lol:

So we played around with a necked up 250 case with an improved shoulder to see what the case capacity would be.

As my old head keeper said to me " presumption is the mother of all spiral staircase ups" :lol::unsure:

Assumption Assumption Assumption... but thats another story Peter eh???

Chris / Ian

there is a simple way around the brass quality issue, could you not use a 260 Rem case and fireform or neck down 308 cases with a reducing bushing die - both case series are available from lapua.

After all the 250 / 300 Savage is the "mother" of the 473" base diameter cases (22-250, 243, 260, 7mm-08, 308) so your case would still be technically a 250 derivative.

Interesting post guys :unsure:

Guest northernchris

Its a shame i couldnt find any info on what we did at the time.Maybe to make this "Wildcat" different from the 1 that already exists would be run a shorter neck then blow the shoulder forward with a 45deg profile,that would gain maybe 1% extra volume.Then maybe it would be truely one off :unsure:

Like I an has already said, just about every possible combination of neck diameter and case size has been used to creat some truly wiered and wonderful designs.

It doesnt matter one jot if you are repeating someone elses experimets (or not), what matters is that you have the balls to try something different and get away from the UK "norm" of

"you dont want that, you want this, this is better than that, my dads bigger than your dad crap""

I think you know where I am coming from.

A while ago I ordered a 6.5x47, and had via my chosen smith a reamer made to our spec, the shoulders are sblown slightly, the shoulder angle increased and the neck diameter reduced, if it works great, if not, well so what, its only a barrel and reamer, the barrel can be set back and we can start with a standard reamer.

The enjoyment is in the experimentation and satisfaction afterwards that something you have done works - let us know how this develops please.

And it does not seem grossly overbore either, so barrel longevity will not be an issue unlike the hotter 6.5mm's

With the advantages of improving an already good case, it could be a winner, next years "must have cartridge" perhaps :unsure:

Consideration could also be given to a 6mm and maybe .224 heavy bullet version??

Guest northernchris

I think 6mm would be worth a look but .224 we would be getting into overbore territory.For the price of a reamer and abit of lathe time its worth a wee look :unsure:

Been chatting to vince today about this, and he tells me he is now running in the truflite barrel on test. The wildcat is his own idea [i think] and its a 6.5x.284, slightly shortened and necked down to 6mm, and its running the 115 dtac bullet....3250 fps, and no pressure signs yet, but i wouldn,t like to hazard a guess on barrel life....1000 rounds maybe?

Can your idea improve upon , say a 6.5x55 Ai ? as this is capable of 3000fps with a 139, but you have the advantage of 308 bolt face.

Archived