primer seating probs

duey

hi guys

right here is a new one on me

prepping my second new bag of winchester 300 win mag brass ( first bag of 50 done prob couple months back, same process no problems encountered) very mild neck turn just to eaven out neck tension, flash hole de burred then primer pocket uniformed using K&M tool, neck sized the brass again then come to seat the primers, Fedral, Large Magnum Rifle Match GM215M, using lee hand primer tool

primmer refused to seat into brass even using both hands on thumb paddle

disassembled lee priming tool install brass into RCBS tool and only just managed to seat primer enough to get case out as per normal

never never had this problem before

all components and tools same as have always used on all my calibers

checked primers and they all measure .2105 thou as do the primers in my box of large rifle match primers that i use on 308

check primer pockets and they all measure .209 thou

dont really fancy having to force primers into pockets so any thoughts

cheers

Ian

One suggestion, do you know anyone nearby who could lend you another primer pocket uniforming tool to try? My thought is another primer pocket tool that was a fraction bigger, might open up the pockets sufficiently for you? I would borrow a tool and just try it on a couple of cases, then try seating the primers. Regards JCS

HI JCS

it is a possibility and one I have thought of and may very well do shortly

just baffled what has changed since the last batch of 50 that I loaded and not used the tools since to cause this problem thats all

initial thought was the primers as they are a different batch but as I said no different in dimensions to other model of same brand !!!!

cheers

Ian

I get this sometimes with fedral primers that was one of my main reasons for switching to cci's not much help I know but I think perhaps try a different primer just to see if they are any different?!

Archived