Gap Grind

MJR

Chris,

RO ran a 308 with issued ammo/unmodified Glock comp a few years ago. Certainly changed the running order, all those who'd been using the 'windcheeter' cartridges found it hard going back to the 'glittery brick' 308 :) . Here's a link to a rough video on the match:

MJR

If you like this sort of thing here's a video snip of a nice stage in one of the comps, when you consider the COF is unknown it was a suprise:

And the winner of the stage got to keep the tricked out AR

Terry

George,

The first link in my post was 'factory' (Corbon) the second link was 'whatever' i.e predominantly home loads.

These matches are not lost, normally, to the inaccuracy of the rifle/ammo but the failure of the person. High score is around 60% of available points.

MJR

Google/YouTube search Snipers Hide Cup/Bash or Alehgeny Sniper Challenge if you're interested in this sort of match.

Terry

George,

The first link in my post was 'factory' (Corbon) the second link was 'whatever' i.e predominantly home loads.

These matches are not lost, normally, to the inaccuracy of the rifle/ammo but the failure of the person. High score is around 60% of available points.

MJR

Google/YouTube search Snipers Hide Cup/Bash or Alehgeny Sniper Challenge if you're interested in this sort of match.

Terry

Thanks Terry-it's impressive stuff-perhaps they get to practise more than we can.

60 % brings the best into the realms of mere mortals,sort of reassuring that that is high score !

Do the shooters have the target distances written down,or somehow available-or are they just very good at judging range!?

Actually,they'd do better than 60% if they had precise ranges!(cf the silhouette shooters-offhand!)

Didn't see any picking up brass though!(edited out??)

george

George,

I've only done half dozen or so of these comps but they have a similar format.

They run over three days, you sign in and check zero's at 100 yards the Friday morning then shooter brief, given a shooter number etc. then straight in on the comp. you do not know the course of fire, some distances are given, some are not but target size is etc. stress is induced by movement (nothing silly) time, multiple distance or precision (or a combination).

You carry everything you need except water and including a handgun as you do not know when the handgun bits of a stage is required. You also shoot into the evening. Distances are from striaght down off a tower to 1000 yards (but most less than 800 ish to keep 308's in the running as LEO's shoot the comps), targets are steel or paper, movers etc. helocopter stages are 'interesting' :)

The matches flow fast with the shooters being split into groups. Enough time to BS, very friendly atmosphere.

Prize tables are packed, entrance fees are cheap, never came away without covering entrance fee. Think the person who comes last gets his entrance back and a few hundred rounds of ammo to go practice.

Hope that's enough of a taster?

Terry

PS Only problem is you want to do more!

PPS yes you can retrieve brass on some stages.

Right then Terry, when we going? Would seriously need to brush up on my handgun skills though.

To be honest I wouldn't mind going to RO or similar just for the training etc and to shoot somewhere different.

And I don't give a monkeys if we shoot factory or home loads...

Archived