Lamping baited areas

Akeld

defintly woth a try and the harder the weatther the better theyll get

a perfect ambush point with a nv set up

me and a mate try baiting about a month back.he went up friday tea with three tins of cat food and spread it about in a 20x100yrd strip.then we went up saturday tea ,he went to top up with more cat food while i got set up on a trailer 100yrd away when he came back he said that all the food from the night before had gone.long story short about an hour after dark one walked within 10yrd of us staight to the food then down he went,waited for three more hours and saw nothing else that greedy sod must have ate the lot

I've had three this week by baiting alone. I can do nice long shots with my sightron moa2 8-32, in daylight, but by eck it's nigh on impossible to see the reticule under a lamp, so baiting into 50yds away makes it possible. Tin of cheap cat food spread over a few feet and a dead pigeon works for me. But, ultimately, time to start saving for an nv set up.

Worth a try? or more likely to cause foxes to avoid bait areas

Not if you don't miss! Works fine for me, bait up for a few days or just bait and wait at a known foxy spot. Dimmer on lamp is very handy for this, quick scan every so often with just enough light to pick up a set of eyes. Don't bait with anything they can pick up and take off with! Cat/Dog food works a treat, the smellier the better (cheap tinned sardines stink and work well). Good luck and let us know hope you get on.

Thanks for the replies, my current bait area is a marshy patch in the field near a wooded edge/strip, my perfect shooting spot is 350yard away from the elevated comfort of a barn full of straw bales, daytime shots are fine but that distance is too far for me to lamp. Obviously I'd have to set up closer but don't want to ruin the daytime oportunities. I feel an additional bait area is needed

We bait alot of areas, we use dead chickens from the free range chicken farms we go on. We nock a long spike in the ground and spear the chickens on so the fox has to work a bit for the food keeps him around abit longer. Best night i had on one was 4 with in 3 hours so works well and sorts the lamp shy ones out with the nv :D

I've used this technique many a time and it works very well. Just make sure you keep baiting the same area to keep them coming in. I heard a story of some bloke setting up battery operated PIR cameras over a bait area to get the foxes used to light going on. Eventually it negated the need for a lamp!

I run three baited areas, all have a high seats situated about 120 yards away and I use bushnell stealth cameras to see what time they are about. I spot with a PVS and shoot with a long bow. I find the high seats very good as the foxes seem to think you have gone once you get up the seat. The camera saves me waiting for hours on end, I will do two hours in a seat but no more. I have a few helpfull technically able farmers who will feed with a sheep carcus top up with felix fish cat food, and check the sim card on the camera daily, they text me to say what time charlie is about. This method realy keeps them in check and the results have been excellent over the last few years. Its quite funny to sit up in the high seat and watch the local yobs driving around flashing lamps over the headges.

Good Hunting

So who uses a stink box? Bury a biscuit tin with a tube in the lid up to the surface. Have bait in the tin. Fish works well. Foxy gets the scent then stays In the area trying to find the reward.

So who uses a stink box? Bury a biscuit tin with a tube in the lid up to the surface. Have bait in the tin. Fish works well. Foxy gets the scent then stays In the area trying to find the reward.

Done something similar with a drain pipe where you just drop the bait in the bottom as its partially buried.

I bait a strip running away from me

it stops the foxes that are crossing on known routes to and from the den. just long enough for a shot or a squeak

I have also used a bicycle rear LED light on a fence post to cast a red glow over a baited area where a lamp is too far or cant be used.

use NV monocular to spot, fox walks into red lamp of cycle light, you can see him through the scope without a lamp and pop!

Archived