Safeshot

Safeshot

A brief introduction to Safeshot

You may have seen our advert button and followed the link to our partners Bicton College. As you can see our course is designed to provide professional training and a Police accepted certificate for people wishing to shoot over land without mentoring conditions or other similar conditions on their FAC. Naturally whilst most of you, the established forum members will be safe and competent shooters you may wish to evidence this. Those who are new to shooting can benefit from some targeted and specific training and our course can be tailored to suit them. We hope to run courses on a regular basis, depending on demand. Please be assured this in not an attendance course. There are no open book exams or DVDs to check your answers with. If you have any questions please visit the Bicton site or email us at safeshot@btinternet.com

Thank you.

Safeshot, do you have a list of which constabularies accept this course as good reason for an effectively 'open' certificate. I have visited your website and other than Devon & Cornwall can find no mention of other forces. Thanks.

Safeshot, do you have a list of which constabularies accept this course as good reason for an effectively 'open' certificate. I have visited your website and other than Devon & Cornwall can find no mention of other forces. Thanks.

Why not email your constabulary and ask?

They will advise you

You may have seen our advert button and followed the link to our partners Bicton College. As you can see our course is designed to provide professional training and a Police accepted certificate for people wishing to shoot over land without mentoring conditions or other similar conditions on their FAC. Naturally whilst most of you, the established forum members will be safe and competent shooters you may wish to evidence this. Those who are new to shooting can benefit from some targeted and specific training and our course can be tailored to suit them. We hope to run courses on a regular basis, depending on demand. Please be assured this in not an attendance course. There are no open book exams or DVDs to check your answers with. If you have any questions please visit the Bicton site or email us at safeshot@btinternet.com

Thank you.

I think I know what 'formative' and 'summative' evaluation mean,after over fifty years in highr education.But I don't understand what you mean by no exams/DVDs??-having read your Bicton blurb,it seems very clear there is no objective assessment-about 80% is 'formative'-ie you get someone talking to you with some advice,but nothing more,and the last 2o% seems little different-the impression is that some subjective comments are made,with no objective assessment-and little risk of failing,short of some gross breach of safety.I am not querying the expertness of the feedback givers,but if there is no real independent or at least failable final assessment,then it is an attendance/fee paid certificate that is given,and that is worth the paper it is written on-but not much more,as there is nothing to show value added,and I suspect many authorities will realise that. And no,I didn't buy any of my qualifications.

george

Thank you.

I think I know what 'formative' and 'summative' evaluation mean,after over fifty years in higher education.But I don't understand what you mean by no exams/DVDs??-having read your Bicton blurb,it seems very clear there is no objective assessment-about 80% is 'formative'-ie you get someone talking to you with some advice,but nothing more,and the last 2o% seems little different (NB 'seems'-it is quite vague in your descriptions)-the impression is that some subjective comments are made,with no objective measureable assessment-and little risk of failing,short of some gross breach of safety.I am not querying the expertness of the feedback givers,but if there is no real independent or at least failable final assessment,then it is an attendance/fee paid certificate that is given,and that is worth the paper it is written on-but not much more,as there is nothing to show value added,and I suspect many authorities will realise that. 'Transparency' is a good word to take on board,with some demonstrable 'value added '. I hope you can;the idea is not without merit.

george

Thanks George,

I too am in adult education. My students however seem to have little idea sometimes about acting as adults and as they all carry guns around on a daily basis you will understand I hope I am capable of assessing students on the Safeshot course!

Actually the summative assessment is as follows:

Weapon handling test which must be passed demonstrating loading, making ready, unloading and making safe(these are my terms)

30 minute walk with the rifle with targets placed to simulate potential shots and backstop considerations, obstacles to cross, and high seat to be negotiated. Must be passed

Written exam with no book of answers available (unlike DSC1) must be passed at 80%

Individual land survey of around 400 acres, involving walking boundaries, assessing shot potential, no shoot areas and of course backstops. This has to be completed within a set time. Must be passed.

If you fail one of these elements you will be invited back for a retake free of charge. Fail any more then is another course. End of.

I do understand your concerns. Please be assured that we take safety very seriously indeed. I will however review the information on the Bicton website and change anything that does not make the requirements clear.

Thanks George,

I too am in adult education. My students however seem to have little idea sometimes about acting as adults and as they all carry guns around on a daily basis you will understand I hope I am capable of assessing students on the Safeshot course!

Actually the summative assessment is as follows:

Weapon handling test which must be passed demonstrating loading, making ready, unloading and making safe(these are my terms)

30 minute walk with the rifle with targets placed to simulate potential shots and backstop considerations, obstacles to cross, and high seat to be negotiated. Must be passed

Written exam with no book of answers available (unlike DSC1) must be passed at 80%

Individual land survey of around 400 acres, involving walking boundaries, assessing shot potential, no shoot areas and of course backstops. This has to be completed within a set time. Must be passed.

If you fail one of these elements you will be invited back for a retake free of charge. Fail any more then is another course. End of.

I do understand your concerns. Please be assured that we take safety very seriously indeed. I will however review the information on the Bicton website and change anything that does not make the requirements clear.

Thank you for your prompt and reasonably informative reply.

What do Devon and Cornwall Police have to say about your students who have little idea of acting like adults,some of the time,and all caary guns around on a daily basis? You d not give any detail-if they are lawfully in possesion of a shotgun on their father's farm,that's one thing,but you rather imply something more.I am surprised you have such an opinion of yur students too-if it's meant as a joke,it seems in rather dubious taste given campus shootings. I though Police/FLO did checks on certificate/license holders general fitness to hold such.

On the technical side,there does seem to be some practical skills assessed,which need to be passed (I'd have thought safety was a 100% minimum pass though-eg one dodgy backstop shot is a fail to me,not 1 in 5 .The assessment seems entirely 'in house' ie you/course presenters-not very impressive,they can hardly be completely independent.They may not be using the same criteria as Police/FLO. I accept that such a course is better than none,but doubt that you can add enough value -given yur assessment of your students at the beginning-to make a substantial difference.

If you can, and manage to transform those who 'do not behave as adults' into decent,safe citizens,especially when in possession of firearms,then you have achieved something quite remarkable in a few hours.Many agencies will be envious,and some parents/adults no doubt. I wish your course well,and trust Devon and Cornwall Police authorities monitor its success.

george

It is approved by D&C I phoned and asked, they knew of it straight away.

As I said,it has merit done well.'Heard of it' means little:''approved'' by D&C might,depends on what'approved' means...

An acquaintance of a friend went to an 'approved' school,but might perhaps have benefitted from from the Bicton transformation,,and might have prefered it...

But thanks for your trouble in phoning.I expect there will be some opinion on thin end of wedge/compulsory etc.Still to be convinced that 8 out of 10 innocent people not accidentally shot is quite good enough...

g

Archived