reticle choice?

Say a man was just gonna say fcuk it and go buy a nightforce scope tommorow, what reticle would he choose for across the board shooting from foxing, varminting and target shooting? Thinking the np 2dd but aint sure, need something with a fine hair for shooting groups as well.

Guest northernchris

Both mine are fitted with the NP2DD i find them spot on,Craigy if you get chance have a look through one as they are not everyones cup of tea.

Chris I have looked through one I liked it but just thought the image was a bit colourless but a very high standard all the same, I have looked at the np2 ret on the nightforce webpage and its definatley different than what I am used to but it seems to be very popular so as you say it must be a good one.

Hi craigyboy

wile the nightforce range of scopes are good,they are far far from the best,they (in my opinion) have a Good few faults,

(1) the glass is not as good as other scopes in this price bracket, (Zeiss,swaro,S&:lol: and so on

(2) the illuminated ret is not as good as the top few scopes,(you can not turn it up or down very easy,and you do get major spill in to the scope if you don't set it just right)

(3) they take a lot of setting up right, as they have the old stile diopter correction

(4)what is it with the power settings on the mag, the hole of the eye peace moves when you zoom in or out.

this is not what i would expect to find on a £1100 scope.

but i do have one and use it all the time,and i have the NP2DD ret and think it is one of the best rets i have seen.very uncluttered, and i do personally like just a small dot.and as soon as S&B give me a ret that is like the nightforce one then it will be by by nightforce,hello 5x25 S&B

thats just my opinion,

ATB

Colin :blink:

Just ask them Col they will fit what you want :P then you will have to blow the dust off the wallet and get a 5-25 bought. ;)

Redfox

hi redfox

i did just that at the IWA last year,

there answer was they did not have the capability to illuminate the ret properly,just yet.but wile we was there we did see a good ret that is all ready available,(but not on that model scope) and you guessed it it was not illuminated yet.

but it should be some time this year.

i think the ret was on the 50 mag FT scope.any way,i will not see it this year as i don't think i will be attending the IWA this year,

but i will for sure be going next year.

ATB

Colin :D

PS when we where talking about a custom ret, we where told if we did the cad drawing we could get the ret a bit cheaper.which is no problem getting that done,its just that i have a wallet just like Arkwright's till :D:lol::lol:

Hi Craig,

I am doing a similar excercise at present for my 20. I tried a few shots with a Nightforce NP2DD Dot reticule this summer and did not like it that much, only because it seemed to dissappear in the mirage coming off the barrel and moddy. In fairness though the illumination was not switched on.

I will probably go Nightforce with the NPR2. This has bars at 2 MOA spacings, 2 moa on my 20 is likely to be around 400 yards though, your TAC20 using 40 grainers would I guess be similar. What I cannot find out at present and would like know is at what mag do you get 2 moa. The Nightforce reticule booklet does not say so but on some of the others it does and is 22x.

I have spoken to a target shooting guy recently who uses a CH3 on his Swift foxing rifle, this just illuminates the center dot, nice and fine, gap between the dot and the top of the post is 1 moa at 22x, that may be a better bet for flat shooting calibers especialy as you will probably range and dial unless another runner presents itself !!, nice shot by the way. My thinking is that my eyesight is getting worse, I now cannot read turrets unless I have my glasses and a multibar ret might be an easier to use option as I get older.

Ronin stated the other day that all things being equal he would go first focal plane, I can see the sense in this when using that P4L ret in the 5x25 S&B as you will always know where you are so to speak. That is also 2MOA and remains at 2 moa at all settings. I have had a look through one of these and have been very impressed.

The thing is the PM2 is around 25% dearer than the equiv NSX, it is though a 25% better scope?. Just to chuck another pebble in the pond have a look at US Optics, heavy and expensive but an excellent way to build your own scope with choices in all major areas. No UK back up though as far as I am aware.

I have run a side by side comparison at night with a Swaro PVS 50mm and a 12x42x56 NSX, IMHO the NSX had a very slight edge mainly due to its illuminated reticule. I would expect a Ziess Diatel to beat them both though, never looked through a PM2 after dark.

A

If you are going NF, my vote would be NPR2 ret, not the NP2DD - not enough info in there mate. (for me anyway)

USO another good choice - or bite bullet (figuratively speaking) and go S&B PM11.

I have nightforce,s with the npr-2 ret, and its a good allrounder, and nice and fine.The last one i bought however, has the np2-dd ret, i purposely wanted an uncluttered picture for mcqueens, and it works perfectly.Its a great, fine ret , ideal for fine work, but doesn,t have much points of reference, apart from the 2 dots, which are 4 moa apart.

All depends on what you want it for.

I have nightforce,s with the npr-2 ret, and its a good allrounder, and nice and fine.The last one i bought however, has the np2-dd ret, i purposely wanted an uncluttered picture for mcqueens, and it works perfectly.Its a great, fine ret , ideal for fine work, but doesn,t have much points of reference, apart from the 2 dots, which are 4 moa apart.

All depends on what you want it for.

Dave,

How do ypu find those dots are in competition once you get a few rounds down range pretty quickly ?, does it also pop in and out of vision?.

Craig,

have a look at this; 1st focal plane. 50mm between dots so not quite 2 moa but close.

http://www.snipershide.net/forum/ubbthread...8128#Post448128

Also this;

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthread...1794#Post441794

I have not investigated it but it look like they are saying that there is an NPR1 with 1 moa hashes. cant find it on the NF web site, anyone any idea's or pics?. Sounds like an excellent choice though.

A

A

Another vote for the NP-2DD, I like the uncluttered view through the scope with this reticule. It is very precise for target shooting and varminting. The illuminated dot reticule is very fast at night for Charlie.

Cheers

dave

Geoff i havent had a problem so far with the dots or heat haze etc, but then again, the rifle that scope is fitted to has a barrel thats 1 1/4" thick :blink: I shot 400 benchrest last week with it, and had no bother machinegunning the 5 rounds down range.

Archived