243 advice

woodydog

I have a 1in10 twist will it shoot 100grn well, i have been useing 90grn and 70grn but been offered some 100grn Sako soft points at the right price. The gun is a Howa 1500. thanks for any help.Woodydog.

Probably OK,as shoots some 100s already though ogive etc come into play too,but if at all possible,try some of the Sako first. On /over the limit,(105 eg) it can be an individual rifle issue-if others have found Sako OK in the same model rifle,probably ok...

Its not weight thats the problem but length. Measure them, if they are the same or shorter than anything that shoots in your gun already you stand a chance. The 100gr sierra pro hunters are pretty short.

Its not weight thats the problem but length. Measure them, if they are the same or shorter than anything that shoots in your gun already you stand a chance. The 100gr sierra pro hunters are pretty short.

this is correct , the long boat tail slippery match bullets like the 105 amax is unlikely to stabilise but a 100g flatbase probably will ?

as said earlier , try them and see?

• 3 weeks later...

a std 1-10 will handle pretty much any bullet from 55 -100 grns. The pro hunter mentioned is awesome in my present .243 and a good choice on medium deer. Bullets like the twin cores 100 grn Partition and their like are not designed for benchrest type groups but one shot kills on out size quarry penetrating deep through heavy flesh and shoulders. This is were the "wont shoot 100grn" myth comes from. I think the Sako bullets are twin cores?

Archived