Best powder to use with 87grn v-max in .243

happyhunter

Not the fastest load but I use 37 gr RE15 with the 87gr vmax. Other good loads are 90gr scenar's with either RE17 or N160 and 58 gr vmax with V140. Remington, Winchester and Lapua cases all work well, I tend to stick with CCI primers. Rifle is a T3 Stainless Varmint.

Thanks for the reply's. Sounds along the lines of what I was thinking. Have varget and h4895 to hand so will get a tub of h4350 to try. I'll get some pictures of the rifle up tomorrow once I've collected it. was looking for a rifle with a tighter twist to stabalise 105 a-max but this is an absolute bargin not to be passed up but been sako only has a 1:10 twist I think?

Thanks for the reply's. Sounds along the lines of what I was thinking. Have varget and h4895 to hand so will get a tub of h4350 to try. I'll get some pictures of the rifle up tomorrow once I've collected it. was looking for a rifle with a tighter twist to stabalise 105 a-max but this is an absolute bargin not to be passed up but been sako only has a 1:10 twist I think?

Correct. 1-10" twist. Mine puts 105 amax into 100m targets sideways, even on a hot load to try and get them to spin enough. Save the h4350 for now, try it with what you already have. You should be pleasantly surprised. If you are after a 'plinking' load for shorter distances, try a load of H4895, 60% of max book load for your bullet weight, nice easy load, doesn't heat the barrel fast, and cheaper at 23grains or so per load than 40ish. Barrel will last longer, so will your wallet contents :)

The m591 I have bought has been shortened to 18.5". Just waiting on the 87grn v-max to land at the rfd. Not wanting to launch them at stupid speed have the .22/250 for that. Wanting a nice accurate long range vermin/plinking round as been putting to many down the .223 and .22/250 although a lot of fun has been had. Have three hundred 75 v-max ( to load for a mate) so might try a handful until the 87's arrive. Also thinking of a new stock from joe west as the factory one has a fair bit of flex in the fore end. Thanks for all the advice so far.

Simon

Archived