tikka 595 rebarrel

after some info ,my sons thinking of rebarreling his 595 in the summer thing is not to sure on twist rate.rifles in 223 and he uses 53 vmax now but wanting to try 75 amax,will a 9 twist be ok or will it need to be an 8 twist.does a barrel need to be throated longer for the 75 amax,if so could the 53 vmax still be used. lengths going to be 20" and got the choice down to two smiths.

I would think long and hard about which bullet you will SPECIFICALLY use PC. You are wanting to run bullets which are both at the extremes for the twists described. Sure the 8 twist will run a 75 a-max, but it MAY not run a 53 grain bullet. Most will run a 55.

Likewise for a 9 twist. It WILL run the 53 but will be at the extreme of its twist for a 75 grain bullet.

The old adage is "never twist a bullet faster than it needs to go"

Similar conundrum with throats.

I normally chamber in .223 Wylde for long throats so people can load the heavies out if they wish, but this is going to give a jump with a shorter bullet like the 53 grain.

If you throat as a std .223 then you have the throat limitation for longer bullets.

However, this isn,t a bad thing. I shoot 77 SMK,s in a .223 chamber loaded to mag length in several AR,s and they shoot just fine with 24.5 grains of vhit 140. This is a compressed load and the case wont hold much more powder, if any.

I would think long and hard about which bullet you will SPECIFICALLY use PC. You are wanting to run bullets which are both at the extremes for the twists described. Sure the 8 twist will run a 75 a-max, but it MAY not run a 53 grain bullet. Most will run a 55.

Likewise for a 9 twist. It WILL run the 53 but will be at the extreme of its twist for a 75 grain bullet.

The old adage is "never twist a bullet faster than it needs to go"

Similar conundrum with throats.

I normally chamber in .223 Wylde for long throats so people can load the heavies out if they wish, but this is going to give a jump with a shorter bullet like the 53 grain.

If you throat as a std .223 then you have the throat limitation for longer bullets.

However, this isn,t a bad thing. I shoot 77 SMK,s in a .223 chamber loaded to mag length in several AR,s and they shoot just fine with 24.5 grains of vhit 140. This is a compressed load and the case wont hold much more powder, if any.

cheers to every one for the replys.dave glad you posted as your one of the smiths we were thinking of using,as the gun is mainly a fox vermin gun i think we ll stick to a 9 twist ,if throated to std does that mean the 75 amax is a no no

No, you will be able to use it. A 77 grain smk can be used in a std throat, and its a tangent ogive, so the A-max shouldnt be a problem. It will be seated slightly shorter than optimum, but the difference in case capacity would be so small to be negligble i would think.

If you are thinking of calling in, bring some of the bullets with you, and i,ll measure the OAL in a barrel cut with that reamer for you.

cheers dave for the offer i ll contat you nearer the time,like i said its my sons gun and he as got to get his head round the cost of the work he wants doing and being tighter than a ducks arse that may take a while.are you gong to have a stall at the shootig show?

Archived