New (to me) .243 for an overhaul

bewsh

I chopped my lovely PH 1100 Lightweight .243 in for a BRNO .222 a while back and have regretted it ever since!

So in the spirit of proving you don't need to spend £2000 to get a good looking, straight shooting, stalking rifle.
After asking around I found a very nice chap on here who had a .243 that had been sitting unloved and relatively unused in his cabinet.
Deal was done for a most agreeable price.

Thank you again (you know who you are!)

Picked up and stripped/examined.
It is a Midland (not sure exact model, but echoes the Parker Hale 1200 with recoil pin through the stock)

Action - Solid, unworn and tight Mauser action, Sporter rather than notched ex-military, has an additional lug on the bolt which sits in front of the rear bridge of the receiver. I think this is something to do with sourcing Springfield or bolts from the US when they were assembling these. (BH, please confirm!)
Floorplate release with cast plate with Ram design

Stock - undented, couple of very minor marks, mainly due to the extremely thick protective coating of Ronseal fence paint or similar that is on it. That will be coming off to see what she looks like nude.

Barrel - original length with foresight and has dovetail for rear sight which is missing. bit of rust on the muzzle but the bore looks in good condition and as the rub marks on the action would confirm, does not look like it has seen thousands of rounds.

Trigger - the standard 3 way adjustable Parker Hale trigger with side safety (like the Timney models) in very good nick with all nuts and no knarled bolts or stripped threads as is often the case.

IMG_48331.jpg

IMG_48341.jpg

IMG_48361.jpg

IMG_48351.jpg

IMG_48381.jpg

IMG_48371.jpg

What is in store-

Stock - stripped (chemical and physical), grind to fit butt pad fitting, sanding down to 1200 grit polish, QR sling stud fitting (one screw in and one bolt head version in the fore-end), wood colour matched depending on what is under the varnish, oil finish

Action - stripped, polished, fettled and action screws/scope mount screws chased out
Need to check but I suspect the floorplate is cast aluminium and won't be blued, i may replace it, haven't decided yet.

Barrel - shortened by approx 2", 11deg crown, screw cut 1/2UNF with custom "Bewsher Laboratories" thread protector (more on that later!), similarly polished and Hot Caustic reblued as with the action.

Trigger - stripped, polished greased and fettled to a nice "glass rod" break of suitable weight. by feel not weight, but not too light. This is a stalking rifle afterall not some range queen.

hope to start the project this weekend

I wish you well-I am inclined to agree that you don't need thousands for a stalking rifle,but do for a 'range queen'.If you can,and have not,I'd shoot a few rounds to see what it's like before surgery,cosmetic or otherwise.Then you know where you are starting from,and whether it is relatively cosmetic or perhaps,if unlucky,in need of more radical intervention. 243 of course does most UK things rather well,it's just not diva bling. Good luck!

george

shoots fine at the moment

I may bed it, but am not convinced it needs it

Funny thing is I took my other parker hale 270 to a 500yd shoot last week. the rifle cost me nothing and was given the same treatment

it performed admirably, (5 bulls 2 of them V's)

only the 6x44 scope letting me down!

given the hardware on show I was delighted!

...and rightly so.It happens,though not often! 6x is a real limiter ,but you don't need a March.Don't expect there to be a rush to 270w in PH , though 280R is catching on as a target option.-7mm of course-like 284w.

george

Hi,

The Midland action is not a Mauser but a similar design. P-H made it to make use of a large quantity of Springfield 1903A3 bolts that they acquired cheaply. A good plan of yours for an economic sporter. However, almost any other form of metal finish would be better in the long term than caustic blacking. Speak to any of the 'smiths on UKV for alternatives, have fun,

Alan

. However, almost any other form of metal finish would be better in the long term than caustic blacking. Speak to any of the 'smiths on UKV for alternatives,

interesting

why is that?

I have done a few and they seem to wear well and have a good finish

what were you suggesting?

interesting

why is that?

I have done a few and they seem to wear well and have a good finish

what were you suggesting?

Hi,

I've used caustic blacking for over 30 years and still do if required. However, it is less resistant to handling wear and potential corrosion than finishes such as Tufftriding, Ceracote or Duracoat to name a few. It is usually the extremities that wear first such as bolt knobs, safeties and muzzles. Don't want to put a damper on your project, I'm sure it will be very satisfying. Just wanted to point out a potential pitfall,

All the best,

Alan

Naked!
took several coats of weapons grade Nitromors to get whatever "varnish" had been applied.
horrible stuff

looks OK, some nice graining.
will see what comes up when it is sanded, stained and oiled

Metal dressing starts next week

IMG_48401.jpg

IMG_48391.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

been a bit busy recently but managed to break the back of the woodwork.
sourced a Santa Barbara bottom metal plate for the Mauser action which need a bit of fettling and smoothing as it is "brand new" and a tad stiff and sharp in places.

wood didnt react well to the nitromors and went very grainy
some heavy sanding down to 1500grit and some grain filler with matching wood stain and it has come up quite nice.
I normally go darker but quite like this one as it is so stopped

Naked and sanded
005_zpsebf1a0b5.jpg

006_zps3c7bf1d1.jpg

filled and stained with first oil coat

001_zps34300c87.jpg

new bottom metal
002_zpsb9ee1bf0.jpg
003_zpsf378bcf5.jpg

have found a nice plain spacer/butt plate which give my sasquatch arms something to get hold of
not fitted until the oiling is finished
that and metal work to come!

Hi Bewsh,

Watching with interest! If you fit the grip cap and buttplate before you start finishing the wood they should end up nice and flush. Did you think about slightly re-shaping the cheekpiece so you could get crisp, sharp edges? If you are not sure about anything and want some help please PM me with your 'phone No.

All the best,

Alan

They have been shaped with the wood so "should" fit perfectly!...

I actually smoothed the cheekpiece deliberately, dont like nasty sharp edges :)

am borrowing a chequering tool to sharpen up the existing flat tops

could be a disaster if I get it wrong!

we'll see

Looks like you have your ideas sorted. So glad you didn't coat it with the latest military grade high tech never rust coatings, that's just so wrong on such a rifle ( a bit like turning an old 1100 popular into an RS 2000 IMO). For stalking you should have yourself a nice rifle there in keeping with the task at hand. I have to say I personally would bed it as its good insurance against zero shift with a wooden stocked stalking rifle used in many climatic conditions more than making it bug hole it will help keep things in the same place day to day

• 2 months later...

After a period of apathy I cleaned out the shed and made some space to get back into business for the tarting up of the .243.

Got busy with the action and reprofiled the bolt handle from its agricultural state to a thing of smooth beauty.

Took my frustration out on the hideous "Springfield Lug" as well.

It now blends in with the extractor claw and is all polished up ready for blueing

Just need to finish off the rest of the bolt and action.

still in two minds whether to get it screwcut or not

http://s40.photobucket.com/user/bewsh/media/IMG_0256_zps049c4b5d.jpg.html]IMG_0256_zps049c4b5d.jpg[/url]

http://s40.photobucket.com/user/bewsh/media/IMG_0255_zps035ace9a.jpg.html]IMG_0255_zps035ace9a.jpg[/url]

Good work!

You might find the wood continues to darken so I think you made a good choice to stick with the current finish.

• 2 weeks later...

ha,

too easy huh?

yes,

don't plan on running a moderator personally but like the classic foresight lines of a sporter.

May use a mod if I decide to do some foxing around town

now I can do both

havent finished with te forsight, needs a reprofile I think, that blade is an ugly f£cking thing as it is

IMG_0271_zps7a458ca3.jpg

just a hint of a line under the foresight. Looks a lot better. I know what you mean about sporters they do look "right" with iron sights on

there is still a bit crud on the mating surfaces,

hoping a good clean and blueing will get rid completely

blueing today if I can get some time to myself! my boiler sprung a leak

• 1 month later...

I wish!

On my list of things to do!

I decided to change the bottom metal to the "Santa Barbara" solid steel floorplate design in most PH's (got rid of the ally Ramshead one)

however it is not a perfect swap and I need to fettle it a tad before it will fit perfectly

also sprung a leak in my bluing tank so it is still in the white

soon ....

• 2 weeks later...

Archived