What 338???

Hi ive got a wanted add up, am looking for a S/H 338, cant afford of justify the cost of a new one given the amount it will be used.

Just want a few rounds when my club does Serial 45 etc,

Really want a custom type rig, Surgeon/Barnard , AWSM , Been offered a New Remington MLR at sensible money, views please from anyone who has shot one/owned one or knows someone who does!

Only some of the web feed back say's crap with a big C! others love em,

Would like your OP,s guys.

best Pete

If I were to have one again, (and that would be a big if, due to the cost per bang even at trade prices)

I would build a custom on a Surgeon XL action or Barnard P

Factory rifles, I would consider AW AWSM or maybe a TRG (although with the trigger issues with the TRG, I doubt that would stay on the list long)

Seriously consider how often you will have the opportunity to use it and cost before jumping...

Rem 700 with enlarged bolt face would NOT be on my list....

There in lies the rub, anything top notch ie the Surgeon(like the one you had) or an AI new is straight into 4plus K type cash.

Been quoted less the 1400 for a new Remington,with the latest 28" barrel,

What would you say is wrong with the Remmy?

Have you had dealings with one?

http://www.bordenrifles.com/338_lapua.pdf

The linked article gives reasons why a qualified Engineer won't use a Remington Style action for .338 Lap, and that's in a top shelf custom action. Let alone a run of the mill Remington 700.

You will also find an in depth thread on Snipers Hide where Jerry Stiller (also an incredibly skilled engineer) lays down the bare facts on why it is not a good idea.

There in lies the rub, anything top notch ie the Surgeon(like the one you had) or an AI new is straight into 4plus K

Unfortunately the 338 Lap is like a race car, it's expensive to run whatever way you look at it. I hate to say it but it seems like you have a case of Champagne tastes whilst looking for Beer money.

Dont think running costs are in question, its the launch pad !

And am trying to find out if you HAVE to spend 4K plus??

any body seen a 338 Remmy detonate? i would have thought that would have been all over the web?

Ive shot a Rem 700 338 using some lathe turned solids, that the owner was manufacturing.

I shot that side by side with my surgeon.

I didnt like the Rem, at all, its great action for up to WSM cases (well RM at least), but I dont think its engineered for 338 forces...

I have a TRG 42 in .338 (although I mostly shoot it in the more expensive .30-338 format) and find it a great rifle.

The two stage triggers are very good, once you get to know them and understand how to fix it, if ever required (great article on snipers hide).

I have also shot most other common .338's out there (except PGM & DTA) and I still shoot the TRG since I prefer the grip over an AIAW - However Viper Skins and the new AX have kind of messed up that line of thought a bit.....

I would never even contemplate a remy 700 in .338LM, since as mentioned above, they are just not suitable - bordering on unsafe. The pressures a .338 Lapua case can take before showing major signs of pressure, far exceed the limits of many actions; let alone a Remington!

In your situation I would buy a s/h TRG 42 and when funds allow upgrade to a new longer 1-10" barrel for the 300gr Bergers - Which is exactly what I'm going to do, once I burnout my latest .30-338 barrel.

Taking the cheap route with a .338 will leave you wishing you hadn,t.

Two things they need...weight in the gun , and an efficient brake/mod.

I remember when a remmy came in for a chap on here. I took one look at the bolt face, with its tiny bit of remaining steel around the bolt face, and said "eeuurgh" glad i,m not firing that ! The brake is just a piece of tube with holes drilled in it....about as much use as a chocolate durex.

Horrible gun that will kick you to death, in much the same way as the Barratt 98.....another innacurate, horrible .338

I built my own on a surgeon XL and it weighs around 20lbs unscoped. I can shoot it all day without pain [except in the wallet] It also still holds the fly shoot record for group [1.1" at 500 yards. ]

I would buy a quality secondhand 338, like aTRG or AIAW, the reasoning being prices are low compared to new cost as there are not many uk ranges where they can be used and shooting cost is prohibitive, used AIAW's seem to go for about 2.5k.......the trick being finding one without a shagged out barrel.

I remember when a remmy came in for a chap on here. I took one look at the bolt face, with its tiny bit of remaining steel around the bolt face, and said "eeuurgh" glad i,m not firing that ! The brake is just a piece of tube with holes drilled in it....about as much use as a chocolate durex.

Horrible gun that will kick you to death, in much the same way as the Barratt 98.....another innacurate, horrible .338

I built my own on a surgeon XL and it weighs around 20lbs unscoped. I can shoot it all day without pain [except in the wallet] It also still holds the fly shoot record for group [1.1" at 500 yards. ]

There are of course other 338s. How does a 338 RUM stack up ? Perhaps gives away very little if anything as a hunting rifle,and can be had as a carry weight,under 8lbs.Still gives a 'reassuring' recoil,of course,though not much call for it as a UK hunting option.,but if you must have the bangs without the big bucks.......(therapy would not be cheap either,so this might be an option).

george

Ive shot a Rem 700 338 using some lathe turned solids, that the owner was manufacturing.

I shot that side by side with my surgeon.

I didnt like the Rem, at all, its great action for up to WSM cases (well RM at least), but I dont think its engineered for 338 forces...

So how many litigations is Remington facing for failed 338 RUMs?

george

Non really, since it is still only an UltraMag size face and not .338 Lapua.

Yes,I know-it's very likely Remington do too.The point is that asking 'Which 338?' has more than one approach:ie which rifle or which chambering,or both. 338L may be intended,perhaps,but there is choice and the 338 RUM gives away very lirttle if anything especially for the outlined useage-a few shots at the club.And it meets the other criteria -cost and availabity.Appropriately loaded,I doubt that there would be much difference,you would certaily get much the same macho recoil,and similar enough downrange performance.And safer,facewise! If you want to be tough,get it in a hunting rifle,easy to carry at 8lbs and you will know you have fired off something potent.Of course the army don't use it,but then they still will be carrying 9mm pistols,and no-one can make any case for those as the most efficient stopping side arm around. There is no doubt that a properly engineered 338Lapua will make a big hole in your wallet,to avoid such in your body.Or be exclusive-get a 330 Dakota,or 333 OKH,or 338 A Square,or 340WM,or 338-378 WM,or an 8.59(save up!-it's still 338 in old money)) ..,and show you are fully savvy,as well as an 'afficionado'(maybe- it's quite often an 'afflictionado').There is almost always choice,or more than one way to skin a very tough cat.I'd go Rem for hunting,Lapua for range shooting. No loss of face in either scenario.

BOOM BOOM-but that needs a 470 NE double!!

george

"Again, not advokating name shame of people, its not fitting for the site, unproffessional and doesn't help relations."

This is a quote from Ronin. Thought it would be better than having a go at another RFD talking rubbish. You know that your comments on the M98 are a load of twaddle. I should think people respect you for your knowledge and experience so rely on that instead of trash talking well respected rifles. You wont find us bad mouthing any of your rifles or work on here for good reason. Please afford us the same courtesy.

I,m sorry if you dont like my honesty. Dont take offence at a simple personal opinion.

I,ve shot 5 different barratt .338,s and not one of them was what i would deem accurate....most certainly not at the side of my own rifle. They have horrendous recoil , the brake does very little , and i got scoped with all of them.

If you dispute this as a load of twaddle, then bring one along to Diggle and shoot it at the side of mine.

If i lose, i,ll put £100 into the charity of your choice.I,ll also stand you a curry and a few friendly beers. I will expect the same.

By the way, i have no idea who you are, so you have the advantage already.

Archived