Cold Weather Prairiedogs

Andrew

I took a drive through my favorite prairiedog town yesterday to test some rimfire loads on rabbits and was surprised to find furry prairiedogs running everywhere. :angry: In years past I would have said that any temp below 20F would keep them under but yesterday was 11F on the mercury and they were still out. Next time I hunt in a snow storm I'm bringing the Hornet! ~Andrew

No I didn't. I do have this one of my 20 year old son shooting one last year in 25F degree weather. Notice how wooley the dog is. Even his tail is furry -unlike the lean coat of summer. Jr did this dog in with a head shot using his CZ Hornet from a hill side 130 yards back. A 35 grain V-Max and 13.0 of Lil gun. His favorite load. (yes, a touch of fatherly pride in a kid that knows how to shoot!) ~Andrew

AndysfirstprairiedogwithCZHornetRED.jpg

PS: Hunting in snow "red-flags" the holes you shoot a dog off of. Otherwise it can be amazingly difficult to find them sometimes. When you get out there, one hole looks like another! Winter hunting is damned cold work though. Unlike big game hunting where we tend to be moving constantly, in winter for 'dogs you sit and wait them out. ~Andrew

Hi there Andrew I wonder ,if possible you could help me with some information?

I am looking to go over to the States to do some P/dog shooting but am not sure were is the best location, or who would be a good outfitter to use?

Over here in the UK we are very limited in the amount of shooting we can do on vermin in a day,but to have the chance to shoot 150rnds + would be a dream. :)

What part of the US are you situated and how many would you shoot on a really good day?

Any info would be great, keep sending the pictures and stories its great to see something different THanks Andy. :angry:

Woah!

Temperatures seldom get that low here in the UK, dont these litters varmints hybernate buddy?

Ian.

You'd think would but they don't. It's odd, too. I talk to a lot of folks who think that they do but I see them year round if the weather if suitable. ~Andrew

Hi there Andrew I wonder ,if possible you could help me with some information?

I am looking to go over to the States to do some P/dog shooting but am not sure were is the best location, or who would be a good outfitter to use?

Over here in the UK we are very limited in the amount of shooting we can do on vermin in a day,but to have the chance to shoot 150rnds + would be a dream. :P

What part of the US are you situated and how many would you shoot on a really good day?

Any info would be great, keep sending the pictures and stories its great to see something different THanks Andy. ;)

Well. That's a hard question. Since I don't need an outfitter, I don't particularly pay attention to who and where is the best. I have a friend who has a spread near (5 minutes away) my home and I have been shooting dogs there for three years; I just drive out and shoot. the terrain where I live mandates hunting them more then just "shooting". We sit out on folding chairs near our vehicles, using camera tripods modified as shown in the picture below. I go to the "SHOT" show every year. (SHooting Hunting and Outdoor Trade Show) and see Hornady's films of shooting prairiedogs where they shoot one and the rest just stand around like they're waiting on a bus. I think these must be half tamed. I have never seen that kind of shooting in real life. When you fire -every dog within 200 M ducks and you have to wait them out. the exception is in the spring when the pups are out. They are pretty naive and will sit there looking at their imploded sibling wondering what happened. It is often possible get a pair lined up and take them out with a single shot. (Something I refer to as a "Quigley" after the Tom Selleck movie) May is my favorite month to shoot. the fresh spring litters are out. I have gotten 40 dogs in less then an hour cruising about in my Jeep. If that doesn't sound sporting remember that these are smelly, disgusting, and destructive vermin. I shoot them of fun and largely eradication; an impossible job.

BUt to your question. Yes. You can get 150 shots off in a day. I will admit that I have gone out and gotten only one shot off in a two hour stretch but that's me. I hunt with a Hornet, generally, so my shots are 200m on a calm day. I have killed to 265 with it. I tend to wait out the little bastards. When they start to come back up they will have one dog stick his nose and eyeball over the hole rim and bark. I locate him, set for the shot, and wait until he gives me a head to shoot at. A little like varmint sniping. As I said, the area I live in has sage brush and broken terrain. It's not the wide open, shooting gallery expanses you see on the films. There is an 1800 acre prairiedog town about 12 mile from my house that I can get on but I haven't felt the need just yet. I have plenty of shooting closer to home and I tend ot shoot at odd hours, in short stints. I work nights so I shoot a little in the morning and the afternoon. I seldom spend a day at it.

My brother runs a lodge in South Dakota. He doesn't guide hunts but he can give you some info. Prairiedog shooters from all over the US come out to his place. The 1000 yard shot is the holy grail for them. I will PM you a link to his place with an e-mail address if you wish. I hate to shill for the guy but he is the only person I personally know who is involved in the business. Pleas don't be offended. ~Andrew

AndyshootinghornetcroppedRED61406.jpg

I used to pump 50 grain Varminters from my 220 Ackley at speeds just shy of having the bullet come apart in mid flight. Such fun. (What throat?? ;) ) ~Andrew

PS: Just took a look ouside. Zero degrees F and a 15 mph wind. I don't think I'll be shooting today. Looks like we had about 10" of snow last night on top of what we had yesterday...and the day before... and the day before that............... Ah Well. A good day to catch up on reloading.

Is that a yes? Would you like his addy? Charlie is on the South Dakota State Wildlife Commission (23 years now) as well and surely knows someone who can help you if South Dakota suits you. He is always glad to help, even if you aren't staying at his place. Just tell him his black sheep ;) brother sent you.~Andrew

Andrew, good news is we have 55F or 13C here,

bad news is I soaked two sets of clothes walking up

some woodcock today. Only rained once. baged three.

Last snow we had was about three years ago.

edi

I'd rather have snow! I used to shoot chucks when I was a kid in Massachusetts. Tough critters in a State where rimfires were the law.~Andrew

Is that a yes? Would you like his addy? Charlie is on the South Dakota State Wildlife Commission (23 years now) as well and surely knows someone who can help you if South Dakota suits you. He is always glad to help, even if you aren't staying at his place. Just tell him his black sheep ;) brother sent you.~Andrew

If you wouldnt mind I will send him an email cheers Andy

I think I've found the little buggers breaking point.

I went out today in -10F mercury temp with winds and blowing snow. Not a dog to be seen. I took a couple of rabbits with a new RF round but that was it. Hardly worth slogging through 3 foot drifts! ~Andrew

Archived