ways to attach a bipod?

HI Guys, im sure ive seen a bipod mounting system which is like a dovetail in the fore end.. can anyone expand on this with who makes it and what stocks have them? Something i noticed the other day (actually GaryW) that my forward stud was affecting the rifle in the bags. I try and avoid this normally but am considering a new stock and wondered if this was a kit that you can retrofit or whether they only come with certain stocks??

Secondary question, while i think about it. If im getting intermittent pressure signs (brass flow into extractor) and when i say intermittent, 1 in 10 rounds probably, maybe more with a hot rifle, with brand new brass.. will the pressure 'problem' get worse with fireformed brass on the next loading? Do people refine their load with brass which is fireformed opposed to new? Im getting pleasing results with new brass and will be neck sizing only/bumping shoulders in due course and am loathed to change the load unless i experience worsening pressure signs..?

Cheers,

Ben

You can get an Anshutz rail put into the underside of the stock to take bipod attachents and / or Tacfire systems sell various Picatinny rail fittings which can take bipods if the mating system suits.

Regarding pressures ... you should see a slightly reduced pressure with fire-formed brass simlpy because the brass has expanded a little and if you are running max loads then a hot chamber will almost certainly raise the powder temperature and burn rate leading to more pressure if the cartridge is left a while before firing.

Its always hard to comment in the absence of actual load data , whether or not you are jumping or jammimg the bullet, what primer changes might give you in pressure terms,do you have a tight-neck chamber spec and insufficient neck clearance, or whether you are running high neck tension etc etc ... the variables are many!

Best to back off if you are concerned and / or Chrono the load to see if MV is excessive.

Dave T

HI Guys, im sure ive seen a bipod mounting system which is like a dovetail in the fore end.. can anyone expand on this with who makes it and what stocks have them? Something i noticed the other day (actually GaryW) that my forward stud was affecting the rifle in the bags. I try and avoid this normally but am considering a new stock and wondered if this was a kit that you can retrofit or whether they only come with certain stocks??

Secondary question, while i think about it. If im getting intermittent pressure signs (brass flow into extractor) and when i say intermittent, 1 in 10 rounds probably, maybe more with a hot rifle, with brand new brass.. will the pressure 'problem' get worse with fireformed brass on the next loading? Do people refine their load with brass which is fireformed opposed to new? Im getting pleasing results with new brass and will be neck sizing only/bumping shoulders in due course and am loathed to change the load unless i experience worsening pressure signs..?

Cheers,

Ben

I had that whilst last zeroing my 6.5 x 55. Groups were very inconsistent until I removed the front stud which shrunk them dramatically.

Is Anschutz the only company to do that type of rail? Is it a massive pain fitting a harris to that type of rail? Thats the sort of thing that i was thinking about though, then there would be no issues of studs digging into the bag.

Ref the pressure signs, im not worried really as i expected to start to see pressure signs up around 55gn of H4831sc with Fed 210s, Lapua new brass, 140gn Amax in 6.5x284 with 2 thou neck tenison. Its not a tight neck chamber and im 10 thou off the lands. Thats answered my question though ref pressure signs in new brass vs. fireformed.

Cheers,

Ben

Hi,

Harris do an adaptor to fit bipods to an Anschutz rail (also one for a Freeland US rail). Easily removed if you want to shoot off a bag and not snag the stud,

Alan

Thanks Alan, thats exactly what i was looking for.. Simon from Joe West has kindly sent me a sample and i have to say im impressed with it. The only difficulty is choosing what i want!

Archived