Barrel profile?

Grouse

In the process of looking at a new build, but could do with some help with suggestions for the right profile for my use...

The calibre will be in a 6.5 (either 260 or 6.5CM), will be used for work purposes (predator control and deer) and occasional long range days. I don't like a heavy barrel, simply because it slows me down when walking and manoeuvring into a shooting position quickly.

Barrel length will probably be 24" (would rather go shorter but am concerned that with these "little" cases, velocity would be lacking if I shoot 140gr bullets in a 20" or 22" barrel?).

Once had a shilen barrel on a 243, that I think was a "magnum sporter" profile, which was ideal (similar to a Lilja number 4 profile I think??).

Planning on using my mcmillan M40a stock, know there will be alot of gap from the varmint barrel profile cut out, but so be it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Regards Grouse

In the process of looking at a new build, but could do with some help with suggestions for the right profile for my use...

The calibre will be in a 6.5 (either 260 or 6.5CM), will be used for work purposes (predator control and deer) and occasional long range days. I don't like a heavy barrel, simply because it slows me down when walking and manoeuvring into a shooting position quickly.

Barrel length will probably be 24" (would rather go shorter but am concerned that with these "little" cases, velocity would be lacking if I shoot 140gr bullets in a 20" or 22" barrel?).

Once had a shilen barrel on a 243, that I think was a "magnum sporter" profile, which was ideal (similar to a Lilja number 4 profile I think??).

Planning on using my mcmillan M40a stock, know there will be alot of gap from the varmint barrel profile cut out, but so be it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Regards Grouse

260- there is just no reason to go CM unless you are obsessive about target shooting.Shortening any barrel with any cartridge will lose some velocity-but not a lot in 2-4 inches,maybe 50-100 fps.Unless you have monstrous deer,they will not know the difference- but if they do,you are right on the limit,and need more clout anyhow!You will of course notice,as you say,and be grateful.If your 243 had a short barrel,can you honestly say you lost a single deer because of the barrel length? 260 will have more foot pounds than 243,length for length. Any occasional long range days means a few more elevation clicks,to all those needed by any barrel/cartridge.

george

Was really looking for suggestions on barrel profile George...thanks for your input though non the less.

Of course,though you mentioned concern about shorenng effects.Unless you need 10+ shots in a rush,I'd opt for the medium barrel weight-you will be carrying it,and generally,it's only the first shot placement that really matters,and any subsequent will be close enough anyhow.Short and stiff has advantages!

george

Grouse

If you read the description on this, http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/gallery/member-galleries/p2948-remington-700-sa-in-260-rem.html

you'll see it's a True-Flite contour No 2. It's freshly re-barreled and shot about 30 rounds. Could be yours for the right offer...

Regards JCS

Archived