picatinny rails weaver bases whats what and help please

alled12

Hello all. I am struggling to understand the difference between the two afor mentioned mounting systems can anyone explain the difference for me. Are they interchangeable? Can you get a picatinny rail for Ruger M77 mkii in .220 swift? All help with this would be greatly appreciatted.

A Picatinny Rail or 1911 rail is a mounting system designed as a standardised method for fitting military equipment to rifles, pistols etc.

The rail is usually one piece and fastened to the reciever by two or four hex screws. The lug slots are spaced at 5.2mm intervals and are a very strong method of mounting large scopes to rifles.

The weaver system is a similar design but in some cases the slots are slightly smaller and not interchangable.

(A picatinny ring set will usually be too large to fit into a weaver rail - but a weaver ringset will fit a picatinny rail)

If you buy a particular brand of rail, it pays to buy the same brand of rings to guarantee fit.

Cannot advise on your application - sorry.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

Thanks Guys. I have managed to find a picatinny rail which fits a ruger m77 mkii.

I know this an old thread but can you tell me if I can purchase a picatinny rail for my ruger m77mk11 and who supplies them ,thank you

Archived