.223 for rabbits etc

triggersqueezer

hi guys,just wondering how many of you can shoot rabbits with a .223 ?

leicester police won't allow any centerfire above .17 for rabbits,i sort of understand the thinking behind this but at present i use a .17 hmr for close range and night bunnys and a .223 for fox.most police forces seem to grant .223 for rabbit and vermin.i'm so happy with how my 223 bucks the wind and its accuracy i don't fancy having to buy a .17 centerfire at present for longer range rabbits as i would also have to buy a mule of some sort to help carry them all..

in short if i'm out with he .223 and an opertunity presents itself i don't want to break the law so i just give the rabbit or muntjack a wave and walk on by.thats the outher bit i allready have a .223 and when i asked about using it on deer they said i would need to get written permision from the land owners etc.the muntjack are on a friends shoot and the farmer wants them in my fridge.i could understand them asking for that if i was asking for a larger calibre but for a rifle i allready have on open ticket it seems a bit obstructive.i also have my dsc 1 .

i have e mailed basc this evening but would like your thoughts on this please.

cheers mike.

Trig my .223 ticket originally issued by London Met states "shall be used for shooting vermin, ground game, and all other lawful quarry" I am also covered for Chinese Water Deer and Muntjac, subject to muzzle energy of not less than 1,356 joules / using a soft nosed or hollow nosed bullet weighing not less than 50grains.

David

i have best part of 2000 acres and john toon is my fao,the land is mixed but 50% is quite flat.aly lawfull quarry seems a bit vague from a police department that states you can't use a 223 for rabbits.hopefully i'll here what basc has to say about it soon.

thanks for the replys guys it gives me a bit of ammo to use if there obstructive.

mike

Down here in Cornwall I have all my cals on for vermin,ground game,fox and deer,,,thats 223,6mmbr,6mmBRNorma and 308!!!This is on an open ticket and a lot of my permissions are on open moorland farms admittedly.110 vmax in the 308 is fun!!

I think you should be asking for 223 to shoot vermin, ground game and fox and cant see why they should throw that out,,,also point out that some rabbits are in areas difficult to reach with a 17hmr and that longer range control is sometimes necessary?,,,,best of luck anyway,,,Onehole.

Hi,

At present Surrey Police condition small bore centrefires for fox and zeroing on ranges and land where the certificate has lawful authority to shoot. If the certificate holder has access to muntjac and /or cwd then this will be added. However, Surrey Police are ACTIVELY looking at the 'any lawful quarry' issue. This means that if you have the appropriate permissions and you are carrying the correct calibre then you can use it.

The onus would be on the shooter if challenged to demonstrate lawful authority (permission and appropriate calibre).

Alan

i was told when i got the 204 before the 223 that there to much for rabbit control. i have held fac for 8 years,years ago i had a .17 fireball for rabbits and was told by a woman in the department that centerfire were not used for rabbits and john toon stepped in and said .17 was ok.

i have no interest in upseting anyone but the more info i have the better debate i can have if needed.

thanks again for the replys

Another one with 308 and the odd rabbit makes a good legal for me, zero check :)

A friend 3 miles down the road and comes under North Yorkshire told his FEO about this "exactly including naming me which I wasn't too happy about" and his FEO said no chance to his 308 for this.

This appears to be another case of APCO guidelines being followed where they suit rather in their entirety. Check the internet especially the GMP website and find the ACPO guidelines, print them off and discuss nicely with your FEO ;)

reply from basc is....

Dear Mr Marsh,

Typically no police force allow centre fires for primary use on rabbits as they think it’s unnecessary. That said if the wording on your certificate says “vermin” then this would include rabbits, the trouble is once they now you want to shoot rabbits they will usually refuse to amend conditions. If you have a .223 for foxes then they should be able to grant vermin as a secondary condition e.g. for crows and other corvids which are naturally wary birds that you can’t get close to with a rimfire.

Sadly there are no condition appeals procedures so if they refuse there is nothing that can be done.

Best wishes

Yes that is how I understand it, Primary use would be a no no. As a secondary condition though it is quite acceptable so as to avoid leaving your stalking rifle unattended in the car whilst you go lamping with your allowed caliber....... at least thats what I think most people say to get this :)

Archived