CZ 527 Varmint

Hi all..

Newbie here....Just got a CZ 527 Vamint Laminate in .223 and I'm confused (or unbeknowing!)

The confusion is 'barrel movement', and the simple question is; Should the barrel have any vertical movement at all?

It moves only just slightly up and down (a couple of thou) ..and if I hold the barrel I can move it that couple of thou up and down against the stock... and/or if holding the rifle upside down I can feel a 'slight vibration' indicative of movement in the stock channel. Should this occur?? :blink:

I'm aware that these rifle have a floating barrel but, surely the barrel shouldn't move, should it?

Thanks in advance

Snakeman,

Welcome!

In answer to your question - no the barrel (and action) should not be 'loose' as such. Turning the rifle upside down should not enable you to feel any movement - like a 'clonk'.

Now if you apply a slight pressure to the barrel you will see some flex in the barrel - that's the free floating bit you were talking about.

Might be a silly question but are the action screws torqued up?

Terry

Hi all..

Newbie here....Just got a CZ 527 Vamint Laminate in .223 and I'm confused (or unbeknowing!)

The confusion is 'barrel movement', and the simple question is; Should the barrel have any vertical movement at all?

It moves only just slightly up and down (a couple of thou) ..and if I hold the barrel I can move it that couple of thou up and down against the stock... and/or if holding the rifle upside down I can feel a 'slight vibration' indicative of movement in the stock channel. Should this occur?? :blink:

I'm aware that these rifle have a floating barrel but, surely the barrel shouldn't move, should it?

Thanks in advance

Hi, thanks for the reply, terryh

Yes, I have tightened the obvious stock screws and the 'clonk' feeling is still apparent when I tip the rifle upsides... Is there anything internal that could cause the problem? ..ie bedding, other screws etc... I have not removed the stock as of yet but, I'm thinking this should be the next thing I should do, then replace and tighten everything back up? - Any further suggestions or causes for this to happen??

Thanks

Snakeman,

Welcome!

In answer to your question - no the barrel (and action) should not be 'loose' as such. Turning the rifle upside down should not enable you to feel any movement - like a 'clonk'.

Now if you apply a slight pressure to the barrel you will see some flex in the barrel - that's the free floating bit you were talking about.

Might be a silly question but are the action screws torqued up?

Terry

Hi Terry, thanks for the reply

Yes, I have tightened the obvious stock screws and the 'clonk' feeling is still apparent when I tip the rifle upsides... Is there anything internal that could cause the problem? ..ie bedding, other screws etc... I have not removed the stock as of yet but, I'm thinking this should be the next thing I should do, then replace and tighten everything back up? - Any further suggestions or causes for this to happen??

Thanks

Sorted now guys, cheers...

Problem being the last numpty who removed the stock tried to force the front stock screw. As a result thread got stripped inside and the screw head was not sitting absolutely flush in the trigger guard; needed tap & dye to resolve thread.

No movement of barrel against the stock or 'clonk' now except for flex you mentioned - cheers Terry

Great site, by the way....good shooting!:D

Archived