CZ .22 Father & Son ‘Tactical’ Rimfires

Here are some pictures of my and 10 year old son’s .22 rimfire rifles by Alan Wey

Some of the parts were bought in, while others were prototype machinings that Alan had in his workshop. Both rifles feature Boyds ‘Tacticool’ stocks fitted with McMillan spacer pad systems and forend rails made from some old Picatinny scope rails. Alan supplied one piece trigger guards with flush fitting socket head screws, Picatinny rails for the scopes and made and fitted tactical type bolt knobs that are proportional to the rifles. The triggers have been tuned to give a crisp and light release. James Clark at Jager Sporting Arms did the Duracoating, i.e. green on the stocks and green on the metalwork to give a nice subtle degree of contrast.

My son’s rifle started life as a 16” American Sporter to which Alan added an M16 type flash hider so that the barrel didn’t look too ‘stubby’. Scope rings are Warne fixed 30mm. The scope is a Horus 4 – 16 x 50mm with a USMC H1 reticle, it’s an ex German Bundespolizei trials scope. The stock was shortened as far as practical to suit my son, the stock can then ‘grow’ with the spacers as he gets older.

My rifle, Alan fitted the pad and spacer system to give me an increased and much needed length of pull. The rifle is a 20” Varmint 453 (set trigger model). Scope rings are Leupold QRW’s. The scope is a Schmidt & Bender 4 – 16 x 50mm Long Range. The rifle is fitted with a Scirocco sound moderator for rabbiting.

Michael

post-11329-0-93920200-1353176299_thumb.jpg

post-11329-0-26908000-1353176309_thumb.jpg

post-11329-0-12110800-1353176321_thumb.jpg

Like them a lot. the h1 ret must be pretty useful on a rimfire too. are the bipods mounted on rota pods or something else? Any good?

Hi,

These rifles are really cute, a bit different to what I normally do. I wish that I had a dad like Michael when I was 10 years old! The bipods are the Harris 9-13" tilting model and the Picatinny adaptors are the same as the current MoD issue. If you are interested the vehicles in the background are a GMC 'deuce and a half' truck and a genuine WW2 T34/85 that is believed to have taken part in the battle of Berlin,

Alan

Here is my son with the rifle on the range. Made to measure …and it will grow with him!

My son started shooting air rifle at the age of 7, .22 at the age of 8 (in the US) and was given permission by the NRA to shot with the club at Bisley 50/100 meters at the age of 9.

I wanted to get him interested in the sport early because otherwise he would only be interested in computer games…the trade-off,….. we agreed, no violent games on the computer.

For his 10th birthday we took 6 of his friends clay-shooting. They all loved it….and so did the dads accompanying them….

post-11329-0-67065500-1353364430_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Seen and handled these rifle: they are really slick and neat. Gives you the confidence that they can deliver every bit of performance out of the venerable .22LR. Funnily, gave me the same feeling I get when I pick up an Enfield No8 of old; the rifle that I cut my teeth on and which was capable of giving any target Anschutz a run for its money.

Pretty much varminting heaven. Lucky boys.

Lovely work again Alan. I'd love my eldest daughter to get in to the sport. She has an airgun,(well, i do for her ^_^ ) but i'd like to get her in to rimfires. Roll on summer!!

Archived