My thumbhole Varminters

Hi chaps, just thought i'd post a few pics of my two thumbhole Varminters.

The laminate stocked one is a Remy 722, Douglas barreled .222 in a Boyds stock. I had a bolt knob fitted, Sako extractor installed along with a PTG lightweight fluted firing pin assembly and bolt shroud.The scope is a MEOPTA meo pro 6-18x50. As expected with reloads shoots bughole groups.

Picture024.jpgPicture022.jpg

The bottom rifle is a Lawton action/Kreiger barreled/jewel triggered 6BR sat in a M'c millan Lazzeroni thumbhole stock, topped with a Leupold 6.5-20x50 LRT. This rifle shoots 75gr v-max into bughole groups too....... ;)

Regards.

They are both very nice looking rifles Nige, I really like the laminate stock. The .222Rem is a massively underrated caliber in my opinion, I had a factory tikka that would would do 5 shot 0.5" all day long. With your Douglas barrel it doesn't surprise me that it will give you single hole groups. I only had my .222Rem re-barreled because it I wanted something able to get a little further out without dialing in.

Rob, bought a Douglas match barrel blank for the .222 today in the exact" heavy straight taper "profile that is already on it in a 1-14" twist.... for when it's re-barreled in .223 Ackley,.........should get those 40grainers screaming at 4,000fps plus ;)

Regards.

I am looking forward to seeing it. I hope my shoulder allows me to get the 20Prac out next week, it gives very little recoil so I will see how I get on towards the end of the week. I am hoping for about 3800+ with a 26" barrel.

Let me know how you get on bud,....pop over when you can ;)

Regards

Very nice. I'm guessing the 222 was a Brian Pybus creation?

What do you reckon to the meopro?

Yes it was one of Brians "17 rem". The barreled action was offered to me for a price i just couldn't refuse, so i decided to "tart it up" a little ;)

The Meopro for the money i think is not a bad little scope, nice optics and clear under the lamp.

Regards.

Very nice nigel. That 6 br is nice in that mcmillan stock.. the 222 looks nice and compacted and pointable

you going down the 223 ackley route in the future

Hi Jamie, i already have a set of Redding .223ackley comp dies and 100 once fire formed Lapua match cases, and the barrel blank i bought yesterday, all i need to do now is find a "smith" with a reamer to do the job.

I want it chambered in "minimum" spec with zero "freebore" exclusively to shoot 40 gainers.......FAST!!! :D

Regards

Hi Jamie, i already have a set of Redding .223ackley comp dies and 100 once fire formed Lapua match cases, and the barrel blank i bought yesterday, all i need to do now is find a "smith" with a reamer to do the job.

I want it chambered in "minimum" spec with zero "freebore" exclusively to shoot 40 gainers.......FAST!!! :D

Regards

Doubt pope has the reamer for that mate. Shame as he does a great job and being close is handy also.

You could see if Dasherman as one for 223 ackley.

Regards

Why not order your self a reamer and you can choose who you want to rebarrel it then as apposed to going to any old tom dick or harry who might just have one.

Why not order your self a reamer and you can choose who you want to rebarrel it then as apposed to going to any old tom dick or harry who might just have one.

Who said anything about using "any tom,dick or harry".....i know who the decent smith's are out there Spud, ....don't need to order a reamer, iv'e found out one of the smith's on here has one ;)

Regards.

sorted then, as i was meaning you have the choice when you own the reamer, not i have to yuse xyz because hes the only one wuth a reamer

Archived